Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I'm getting to the place where I'm starting to wonder about my PS.
I have a Seasonic 550W modular. I like it and would recomend it for anyone who wants a good, quiet PS. But I'm wondering I'm running up against it's limit.
What I'm currently running an AM2 x2 5000 in a full ATX with 4GB across 4 sticks of DDR2.
I have four drives. 1 10k RPM, 3 7200 rpm (1 slush drive, 2 in a mirror array on a PCI card)
a stand alone nic and a audigy 2 and a 8800gt vid, a DVD+RW drive
Running a koolance loop running off of a dual bay res/pump.
A total of 7X120mm fans connected to a scythe fan controller.
How close am I to my 550 watts?

I'm thinking of going to an SLI set up in the future with another 8800gt or going quad core with an AM2. Will this hold it? Ideas?

Thanks for your help.

I tried the calculator. Thanks. I came up with a total with 415 watts, so it seems like I am in the good.
Looks like I can upgrade the CPU, but can't do SLI because that pushes it to 545 watts.
I'm going to guess that is pushing it, even with a premium supply.
Does anyone know of the video dedicated PSs? Although I don't have a free 5 1/4 right now. So who knows. Thanks for your help.

To be honest, I am not sure how accurate that calculater is. I ran my socket 939 system through it and it said I needed 650watts. I have 550 watts now with no issues at all and I only upgraded to a Athlon 64 dual core + a 9600GT video card a few months ago.

I think you are fine. You are running more stuff than most people, but most people grossly over purchase on PSU wattage. Are you having any problems now?

I wouldn't do SLI because that does seem to put you close to your 550, but I really doubt you ever draw anywhere near your 415 right now. I can't even break 250W with my system during heavy gaming according to my Kill-a-Watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back