Powers Up But Won't Make It To POST

Mark1

I bought a refurbished Dell 9010, and it was working fine. Basically, I use it only for internet and watching videos. Some people came to visit and brought in some unwelcome visitors with them (roaches) which got into my computer. After disposing of the insects in short order (disgusting things), computer would not work, so after I cleaned up everything, I purchased a new MB and installed it. Now, when I try to fire it up, the fans spin up for about two seconds, then it shuts down, and attempts to restart over and over again. I tried two different PSU's , tried different sticks of RAM. A geek friend told me to flash the bios, but how can I do that when the unit won't power up?

Dell Optiplex 9010
Intel i5
Thermaltake 500 watt PSU
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD

So you got a new unused Dell motherboard that matches your old motherboard and just swapped parts over?

So you got a new unused Dell motherboard that matches your old motherboard and just swapped parts over?

Exactly that. I purchased a new unused board through Amazon. I'm not a geek, but I have assembled a couple of computers in the past. This should have been simple, but it's been very frustrating instead. It just doesn't want to power up.

I'm going to try resetting the cmos to see if that will clear the problem and allow me to boot into bios

It could be that (CMOS reset) but it could also be a power tail is missing. Check that the 24pin is all the way down and clipped. Power lead near the CPU: All the way down and clipped? Correct wiring on the front header. You can find the 2 pins that start your PC on the front header and briefly short them with a flat blade screwdriver to bypass the switch.

Fans spin up, then turn right off. No other activity. When I did get an amber flash from the power switch, it was 2-1, indicating motherboard

Well I would imagine you have a narrow window to do a return? Technically this means 2 motherboards in a row don't work so you have to look at other items too. CPU? Maybe a little computer show nearby can help diagnose this for you. They have the luxury of lots of spare parts laying aorund.

Back