TechSpot

Pressy transforms your smartphone's headphone jack into a button

By Shawn Knight
Aug 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Wish your Android smartphone had another physical button that could be used as a shortcut to launch an app, take a photo or check in to social networks? A new Kickstarter campaign is peddling just that – a smartphone accessory...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,392   +107

Will this work on my Motorola Razz Max. Looks like it was tested on Samsung S#.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Didn't know a phone might need a tampon...

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,390   +329

Oops... misread pressy haha anyway this looks pretty cool...

dennis777 likes this.
  5. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

An extra button on a touchscreen device.. I think some people would kickstart a waterproof teabag..

Arris and wastedkill like this.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,390   +329

Thanks for the idea .... brb gonna do a new kickstart project "The worlds first waterproof teabag reusable because its waterproof so its always full of tea!" LOL

7. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

A physical "programmable button" that allows Immediate access to a feature or function that I use all the time without having to turn the screen on, unlock my phone, and fiddle with menus to get to it? FOR SHAME, such convenience is unbecoming of the 21st century.

8. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

The article says "Your Android smartphone", and "Running Android 2.3 or higher".

9. hahahanoobs

There were no examples given of functions accessible while your screen is off, or at the lock screen. Don't start arguing it as if it's official just yet.

10. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

I like this... at least you have an option if the power/lock button worn out. It could be a great camera button too :p

fimbles likes this.
  11. @ hahahanoobs: You probably should have read the kickstarter page before commenting. It says you can use it as a discrete camera (screen off, no flash). :/

12. Hahahanoobs: The kickstarter pages says you can use it as a discrete camera (screen off, no flash).

13. madboyv1

From the Kickstarter page, right before "How to Set an Action":
    It is also heavily implied that having to turn on your screen is one of the necessary steps they wish to remove for actions that don't actually require it. In the comments someone says that working without the screen needing to be on has been confirmed, but I've sent a comment/question to the creators to be double sure that I did not make any assumptions in that matter.

As to whether or not it will work with a lock screen enabled: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/556341540/pressy-the-almighty-android-button/comments?cursor=4108151#comment-4108150 (half way through the comment by the creator)

Overall, I think my comment is fairly reasonable and not jumping to conclusions. =)

14. hahahanoobs

Touche.

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,490   +2,040

This is a good idea. I can see it selling like hotcakes when released.

16. It also seems to be a flush plug. I will also keep your headphone jack clean of dirt and moisture.

17. The real question is how do you get the plug out if you don't want it anymore?

18. madboyv1

A
    Apparently while it is more or less flush against the casing for most if not all phones, there still is just enough of the device protruding out that you can get a hold of and pop it out with your fingernails. At least that's what they said and what it looks like to me.