prevent new accounts on win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

link590o

i came across something very interesting earlier. i found that a secondary account that was password protected had been created on my machine without my knowing. i deleted it meanwhile. but that's not the issue. i want my account to be the only account on here. i want to stop people from creating new accounts without my knowing. because for all i know, i might have had someone hacking into my computer.

does anyone have any clue how to disable the creation of new accounts, either guest or other types?

Do not give people administrator rights. Do not let people use your account.

Really, even if you could disable creating user accounts, someone with admin rights could easily reenable it.

That is correct, if you have only one account in your computer and it is password protected and you disable the guest account, no one can can create any other user accounts unless they use your account but for that they either need the password or you would have to let them use it. Unless the main administrator account is not password protected then someone who knows how to access it can create accounts without your permision... to protect the main administartor account, press F8 while booting and go into safe mode, there you will see both your account and the administrator account, just make sure you put a password to both accounts and you are safe.

i've already done so. guest accounts are off, there is only one account a.k.a. my admin account. so there isn't much more i can do. and i just took care of it: i changed the password meanwhile. that hopefully should quell any more screw ups.

thanks for the info.

By default there is always an administrator account that is invisible in normal mode, but that you can log into if you know how. That account is besides your account. To add a password to that account so no one can use it follow the steps in my previous post.

What was the name of the account you deleted?

It didn`t happen to be ASP.NET did it?

If it was, then that`s part of the Microsoft Net Framework software and is perfectly legit.

If it wasn`t the above named account, then forget this post.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back