TechSpot

Previous Fan Failure........Again

By DragonSleeper
Nov 22, 2007
  1. I'm using a Dell Dimension 8200. I got this error and the fan stopped working about 2 months ago. About 5 days later, My fan that stopped working, started working again like nothing ever happened. I didnt have to replace the fan. Now all of a sudden, it stopped working again. I even put a replacement fan in there and that didnt work either.

So If anyone can tell me what the issue is, I would be greatful

2. Teranius

Teranius TS Rookie Posts: 138

im not an expert on laptops so please take it into account. im guessing theres a short or malfunction in the circuitry controlling your fan speed, but i dont know of a way to test my theory. i'll do some research but doubt i'll find anything

3. DragonSleeper

DragonSleeper TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is the desktop version. Forgot to say that sorry

4. Teranius

Teranius TS Rookie Posts: 138

ok , no prob. have you tried one of the other fan power ports on the mobo?

5. DragonSleeper

DragonSleeper TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tried other port and that didnt work either. Is there something I have to change in the Dell Bios?

6. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

It's not just the onboard Fan Controller is it?

Do something intensive - and see if the fan comes on once it's been working hard. Lots of PC's have this feature, and if you live in a colder climate & don't work the machine hard, it may only come on occsionally.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.