Price v. Performance in 7-Series + 8-Series: Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaronjocelin

I know it's been posted a s#!+load of times, but I figured I'd go ahead and get something straightforward- all the other posts have been in jungle English, and haven't included the proviso I'm looking for.

Anyways, my situation is that I bought my X1900GT from Newegg around Christmastime, as a present to my ainsel (ownself, for those not familiar). I've been getting kind of disappointed in it recently: It underperforms and often crashes on STALKER:Shadow of Chernobyl and some more modern games akin to it. It also runs hot as Hades.

I'm in the market for a new card. I'd like to go DX10, but the late-production DX9's (7900 series) seem to outperform a lot of the more affordable DX10 offerings (8600 series), especially at higher resolutions, due to the 128-to-256 bit difference. I could splurge and go for an 8800, I suppose, but it would be a hit to the wallet and I'd have to postpone :cough: "Aruban Getaway 2008".

So: I don't want to pass up on the new line of DX10-only Games for Windows (Age of Conan, Crysis, etc.) that have been hyped to all hell just because I stuck with price and performance instead of currency and novelty. I need some help deciding. Then again, I could always wait until DX10 becomes the vogue and buy a cheaper, but better card then.

Keep what you got and see what's comming next. I have a 8600GT as a stopgap until something better comes out. There has been talk of a Nvidia 256bit card to fill the gap between the 8600's and 8800's. I can't fit a 8800 in my case, if I could I would just get the 8800GTS 320mb now. If I were you, wait for the game to upgrade instead of upgrading and waiting for the game. Your X1900GT is no slouch either.

I use the EVGA 8800 GTS SC 320 mb. It is a great GPU. You need to make a few mods to cool it and divert the heat away. It's worth it, with 320 bits and 320 mb's it's solid. I will SLI someday but I can't imagine it being a whole lot better then it is now. Good Luck.

pdyckman@comcas said:
I use the EVGA 8800 GTS SC 320 mb. It is a great GPU. You need to make a few mods to cool it and divert the heat away. It's worth it, with 320 bits and 320 mb's it's solid. I will SLI someday but I can't imagine it being a whole lot better then it is now. Good Luck.
If you have a 8800GTS why would you recommend to someone the 8500GT?
Just curious about your rational behind it.

8500 Gt

I went from Nvidia 7300 GT to Nvidia 8500 GT this week.
im on a gigbyte mobo, 1gb 400 fbs ram, mobo fbs is 1600.
i have 4 hard drives-400gb sata, 160gb sata in raid format spanning.
ihave a 320gb ide and a 250gb ide.
my OS are win XP Pro, Win Vista premeum.
all works good no prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back