Print key

By circusboy01
Aug 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My Microsoft wireless key board has a print key. It the P key. It has *Print on the front edge of the key.
    How does it work? I tried using it to print something, but nothing happened. I tried it with enter, with ctr alt del or variations of. Nothing worked. Before you ask. Yes my printer was turned on ;0)
    Thanks.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,435

Is it a special function key (usually blue print on the keys), requiring you to press the "Function Key" at the same time to activate?

Edit:
    After you press the print key, goto a paint program and paste to see if the screen printed to clipboard. I know when I press the "Prt Scr" key a screen capture is sent to clipboard.
  3. circusboy01

circusboy01 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 804   +9

So it doesn't activate the printer? I thought, or at least I was hoping, that you could use it to print what ever was on your screen.
    You say "the function key". Don't I have 12 function keys? F1 thru F12, or does F not stand for function?
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,435

When you stated there was a different function listed on the P key, I assumed you have a notebook. I've never really seen a standard keyboard that had special functions on the standard keys. Maybe Wikipedia can explain the Fn key better than I can.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Print, Print Screen and Prt Scn keys in normal operation "print" (read as copy) the desktop to the clipboard, so you can paste the image in a photo/picture editing application.

If your keyboard has additional function keys you'll need to refer to the product information and/or manual to identify what they are. Most keyboards with them also have downloadable software to enable you to "map" what the keys do when pressed.
  6. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,046   +15

Hi all, I have the same on a MS 1000 W/L keyboard. Some of the keys do have the 'old' 'cut/copy/paste' etc shortcuts that always work, for anyone who learned them. The marks on the front edge of the keys are an asterisk with a small hole in middle, and there are the same marks on each Ctrl key..... therefore meaning 'Ctrl & P' for example.
    When I do 'Ctrl+P' it brings up the 'select which printer' dialogue box, gives a print range of 'all' and is waiting for the 'Print' to be pressed. I don't have a printer, so can't say what would have happened.
    The separate 'PrtScn' key copies the current screen to the clipboard, I use it often.
    O/S here is Win7 HP.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.