Printer Sharing over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

I'm pretty sure it is possible and I attempted it the other day (but only for a few minutes did I try), but I just wanted to make sure. Is there a specific way that you would have to share a printer over a VPN connection.

Two offices (about 15 miles apart) are using VPN over a DSL connection and it would be nice to share a printer which is another building 15 miles away so that they can print to the other building if they want to.

Any input on that?

It would be easiest if it were set up as a network printer with it's own print server (even using a router capable of printer serving would work).

Well, I just talked with the other guy and were going to just give that printer an IP and go that route, but it would also be good to know for the future, how to share over VPN. :)

Will you be sharing it as a windows shared printer or a network printer?

In order to use windows print sharing you have to make sure your windows networking is allowed through the VPN.

If you have a network printer then they usually use a couple of TCP ports starting from 9000. So again, you just have to make sure you let those ports through your VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back