Private Message Character Limit

vnf4ultra

I frequently attempt to send private messages that are over 2000 characters and I then have to split the message to 2 or even 3 PMs. I would like it if the character limit could be increased to perhaps 4000-5000+ characters. While we're at it, it'd also be nice also if the PM inbox held more than 50 PMs, several forums allow 150 or more PMs in the box, and it would come in handy to have more available. Fifty seems like a lot until you have a conversation via PM, just talking to one person usually takes 5-10 PMs.

Thanks for your consideration!
vnf4ultra

Actually I have a better suggestion than that:
use an IM! :p

I would think it makes more sense since the forum is not built around chatting/conversational functions. Perhaps you'd be better off using say, Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo messenger.

Just my 2c worth =)

Or stop by the IRC channel. Have a look in my signature for details.

I can't comment on the impact of such a change across such a big user base, but others might be able to.

Can you delete your old converstaions? This will free up your limit.

People should be coming in the IRC channel anyway. Regulars are me, LNCPapa, Vehementi, AcidOsmosis, Tarkus, Goalie, Soul Harvester, Jesse_hz, Poertner_1274, Mictlanteculti.

Others that drop by are Nodsu, Didou, Per Hasson, JimShady23, MetalX, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

I only ask that when you come by you participate at least a little in whatever conversation is going on. Only us old regulars are allowed to lurk for extended periods of time :)

I guess I could use im for some of my pm needs, but quite a few PMs I get are new users looking for advice(of which I wouldn't add to my im "friends"), usually relating to a thread or comment I've posted. Maybe instead of answering, I should have them post a thread instead, so they can get more user input than just my thoughts, and also the thread they make could possibly help others in the future.

I do wonder why were skirting the issue though, is it that hard to change the PM system? Would it cause a problem if the pm system was like what I suggested?

And regarding IRC, I've tried it several times and it says "*** You are not welcome on this server: Reserved IdentD."
So if I'm not welcome, then I guess I can't use IRC. But then again, I've never used IRC, so I'm surely doing something wrong.

vnf4ultra said:
Maybe instead of answering, I should have them post a thread instead, so they can get more user input than just my thoughts, and also the thread they make could possibly help others in the future.

That is a fantastic idea. Let's get the information out to everyone. That not only saves you from answering so many questions, but it also gives others a chance to see the information for future use.

I do wonder why were skirting the issue though, is it that hard to change the PM system? Would it cause a problem if the pm system was like what I suggested?

That's Julio's decision. I know we have discussed it before, but I cannot remember what teh outcome is. That's why I stated it would depend on the impact of the site.

And regarding IRC, I've tried it several times and it says "*** You are not welcome on this server: Reserved IdentD."
So if I'm not welcome, then I guess I can't use IRC. But then again, I've never used IRC, so I'm surely doing something wrong.

That should be an easy fix. What irc client are you trying to use?

I'm using opera as my irc client, but I've also tried the online java client linked in Goalie's guide, neither seem to be able to connect. Do I need to "register" to use the IRC, or can I just use my name here as my "nick."

Ok, I just went through and setup an Opera Chat account. Your real name can be anything...your email address can be anything (I suggest not using your real address). Then when nickname, just use vnf4ultra.

Lastly you should be able to join the room #3dspotlight

I just did it and everything went through okay. No registration needed.

vnf4ultra said:
I'm using opera as my irc client, but I've also tried the online java client linked in Goalie's guide, neither seem to be able to connect. Do I need to "register" to use the IRC, or can I just use my name here as my "nick."

I had a similiar problem when I tried to connect to irc. I just never bothered trying to fix it. When are you guys on mostly?

Well it worked in opera now, but it didn't seem like anything was happening in the room when I was in. Guess I'll check back later.

Did you see the list of all of us on the right? If not you weren't on the correct server or not in the correct room. There are ALWAYS people in the room, but we aren't always discussing something.

The truth is I have no immediate plans for upgrading PM settings, and although I would love to upgrade them based on your feedback and request petition alone, it would leave too much room for abuse. As other members have pointed out, other mediums like the forum itself (a new thread) or the chat room are better fitted for elongated messaging and discussion. Hope you find my response reasonable.

Thanks for caring, and if it's not too much to ask you can update your signature to go along with the forum rules.

Back