Problem: 6600GT or BIOS? Neither?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

Just purchased and installed an eVGA GeForce 6600GT. The only game I had at the time was Tomb Raider, so, figuring that it was a lower spectrum game, I set all graphics to highest to test my new toy. Game would not load. I got 9 mobo beeps, three sets of three rapidly.

Hve AMI BIOS, aperture set at 128. System is adequate, w/ 500W PSU, P4 640 3.2GHz HT, 2GB RAM (matched, default timing). Have since purchased Civilizations IV, and Half-Life series, but would like to know what I'm doing wrong before going further.

Heelp? :suspiciou

Check the beeps in your manual - somethings not right.
I would also set everything to default by clearing the CMOS and see what happens.
Then set your BIOS to what they were before going high graphics.
Do you have the latest drivers?

No beep list

Tedster said:
Check the beeps in your manual - somethings not right.
I would also set everything to default by clearing the CMOS and see what happens.
Then set your BIOS to what they were before going high graphics.
Do you have the latest drivers?

Have ASUS P5P800. Manual has no beep code list, and the ASUS site is like navigating the Okeefenokee. Downloded and installed latest nVidia drivers first thing. Made NO changes to BIOS before trying card and game. Was hoping to not have to open case for the fourth time this week, but if clearing the CMOS clear might work, I'll try it. :knock:

AMI Beep Codes

Usually three sets of three beeps indicates a ROM checksum error. Clearing CMOSS might help, but it could be a faulty BIOS ROM chip. Something on the motherboard is causing an error when it is trying to interact with the CMOSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back