TechSpot

Problem formatting hard drive

By w00tage
Jan 17, 2007
  1. So my computer got a nasty virus, and I decided to start anew with a fresh install of windows. There was some weird problem during the installation, and windows 2000 could not finish installing, and I had to exit. I then decided to just redo the partitions and format the drive.

I didn't have a floppy drive installed so I booted off of a USB flash drive and ran fdisk to delete the partition on my hard drive, create a partition, and then set the partition to active. However, when I tried to run format.com, i got the "this program cannot be run in dos mode" error. I tweaked my flash drive a little bit by basically copying over all the files from a windows 98 bootable floppy onto my usb drive... when I treated booting off of the USB again, I got a "missing operating system" error. When I try booting off of the windows 2000 install cd, I get the same error. My friend let me use a floppy drive; when i hooked it up to the motherboard and everything and inserted the win 98 bootable floppy, I get the "missing operating system" error again. It seems like I can't format the drive until I get past these errors. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,647   +323

Why would you even bother with a floppy (or USB) if your Windows 2000 CD is bootable?

Just boot off of whatever you can, and then run <CD Drive>:\I386\winnt.exe to begin the setup, inside of that you can delete/create partitions and format your drive, no need to make it harder than it is.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.