Problem installing windows xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adiii

So im trying to install windows xp. Everything works fine. I partition the hard drive, format it, and then the cd copies files to the hard drive. All seems well. I get to this screen:
http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/install_9.gif
I eject the floppy and it restarts. It should go to a new gui that leads me to completing the instalation, but instead it takes me back to the very begining.

I've tried changing the boot devices and that didn't work. I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help?

Why are you using a floppy at all? Take the cd out when it reboots and then put it back in once the GUI pops up.

The floppy carries the raid drivers I need to install. So what I'm supposed to do is take the disk out and then restart? Why would I do that when it instructs me to simply take out the floppy? After it formats the hard drive, does it install the necessary files to register XP without a CD? Sorry for all the questions.

I have a SATA Maxtor 7200rpm 200gb hd.

Sata Raid

You have to clean the HD,reformat-and start the install again, when it first starts up-look at the bottom of the screen- it will ask if you need to install third party drivers--press enter--it will pause installation to allow you to use floppy to install raid drivers

BassRck4 said:
You have to clean the HD,reformat-and start the install again, when it first starts up-look at the bottom of the screen- it will ask if you need to install third party drivers--press enter--it will pause installation to allow you to use floppy to install raid drivers

I did that. I hit f6, install the right stuff, delete the partition, partition it again, format it, and then i take the cd and floppy out and it reboots. Then it just says boot from cd: please insert CD. Why doesn't it just boot the installer from the hd?

When you clear the HD-- it is virgin--start install w/CD,keep floppy set in drive -not pushed in-when instructed-push floppy in-(Leave CD in)-when instructed-take floppy out Shouldn't need to take CD out(for entire install untill you get to the point that you enter you personal info.- to get on-line

Hope this helps-when you do get online email@bassrck4@hotmail.com- I have some good progs. if you need them: Joost!(free internet TV great new beta prog>_by invite only_!)and many others!... will share...P.S. Don't forget to get security updates from Microsoft..Happy Surfing!

User the CD that came with the HDD in this case Maxblaster to wipe and format the HDD. Then when you run XP Setup press.. delete partition, follow the steps XP should see the HDD correctly. If it doesn't then you have a problem. Does the BIOS see the drive. Are you setting up RAID mirroring with two same size HDD?

"Then it just says boot from cd: please insert CD. Why doesn't it just boot the installer from the hd?"

This is one of the Bill Gates and Co. jokes I guess. The first time you boot with the install disk in the cd, you MUST press a key when the 'press any key to boot from CD' message appears.

However, once all the partitioning and such are done and Windows has loaded the virtual system and tells you to remove any floppy in A: and then reboots (the countdown timer shows) and that message appears again, YOU DON'T Press Anything!

Windows will just go its' merry way.

:)

I'm not sure I understand. If I turn my computer on with the disk in, it doesn't ask me to press a key, it just goes directly to the blue screen installer thing. Do you want me to take the disk out? It will then give me the error Boot from cd: insert disk and press enter. I can then put it in and hit enter I guess, I don't see what that would do though.

I still have my hd partitioned and formated. Is there anyway I can just access the damn installer without the windows disk? Like can I download something that will just go to the gui, since I have the windows files allready on my HD.

adiii : You say you have one (1) sata drive so is it likely you aren't running a raid o or 1 or not going to operate the sata as AHCI.

Cause if you aren't, you don't need the floppy or sata drivers,; normally you just configure sata as IDE in bios and set the Onboard IDE mode as enhanced and enhanced support for sata (on Asus boards anyway).

This should all be in your manual.

I have 1 sata drive that I'm installing windows to, but apparently the sata drive isn't native to the chipset (I don't know what it means, I just read it somewhere), so when I try to install windows it says it can't find any hard drives. So what I have to do is hit f6 when windows is installing, I put the floppy in, and I install the required files from the floppy. Now I'm not sure what files those are so I just install the two that say required by them (NVIDIA CLASS DRIVER, NVIDIA Nforce storage controller). I tried using those 2 alone and it still wont read my hard drive, but when I also install the "Sil 3114 SATARaid(Non-Raid5 Rom Only) for windows XP/Server 2003" it lets me continue and windows XP reads the HD.

Now, how do you do that CCT? I've looked in the manual, and alas I can't find it.

I've actually been looking through various forums and websites for like a week now. I've done the research, it just seems that no one knows what's wrong. No ones even had a similar problem, so I'm totally lost right now. And sorry, that link didn't help.

Alright well F it. I'll just take it to someone that charges a flat rate to install windows for you, and I won't tell him there's a problem. I appreciate you guys trying to help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back