Problem isolation for a deap pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like several other posts on this forum my PC too just died yesterday. I had left it running for a few hours. Came back. Winodws (XP Professional) was hung, the red HDD LED was on. ctrl-alt-delete did not work so I held down the power button for 10 sec to force a reboot. On reboot, I got no beeps, no bios screen, it just sat there with the cpu fan going.

Following the advice I've seen here: I have replaced the CMOS battery, reset the BIOS, removed all cards, hdd, 1 of the 2 memory sticks, plugged the monitor into the video integrated into the motherboard. No improvement: on power up cpu fan spins but nothing else.

So if I've learned anything from reading the fourm, it seems that the problem is either power supply, motherboard or the cpu. I don't have a spare sysytem or components that I can swap around to isolate things. So, the question is: is there a way to test these components as they are to verify which one is defective one? Or do I move up the food chain from cheapest to the most expensive replacing each one until things work? If I were to replace my motherboard, any recommendations. I would like to keep my cpu (intel 478 socket), memory (pc3200) and my agp graphics card. I've seen post which indicate there are motherboards out there with leds that indicate health of the motherboard. Don't think my motherboard has those. Those would have been nice to have right now.

With everything now removed, here are the specs of what remains in the system:

Motherboard: ECS PM800-M2
CPU: Intel P4
Memory: Kingston 256MB PC3200

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back