Problem opening particular xls file

Jskid

A user tries to open an xls attachment. The Excel 2007 launches, but no data is loaded into it. She can open other Excel documents fine so it doesn't appear to be a problem with Excel.

Figger the XLS attachment is configured incorrectly, or damaged in transmission... Ask the source to re-send.

I've suffered this for sometime - -

without Excel running and attempting a document I own:
  • dbl-clicking on xxx.xls will launch Excel but not disply the contents
  • once Excel IS running, repeating the dbl-click WILL open & display
For attachments (from email), the same thing occurs. The attachment is saved in ~\Temp,
Excel is launched, but no content - - dbl-click the attachment a SECOND time and you get what you expeced.

I've just learned to ignore the issue and proceed per the above - - - - :sigh:

I've tried REPAIR on Office 2000 Small Business many times to no avail and the KB cited is
for 2003, 2007 and 2010...

Some day soon I'll just have to move off XP and upgrade the whole hardware/software inventgory :sigh:

I still run Office 2003 on family computers. I've also done Office uninstall / reinstall on on occasion when the repair didnt help. Don't know if also might help or apply to your situation

Thanks - - tried the uninstall/reinstall many times too

It's just not worth all the time already invested, so as long as I can launch the app and then dbl-click to access a doc,
at least I can still get some work done.

As you know from our history, this laptop is crammed with web development tools
and being circa 2005 XP/Pro at 1.3ghz - - it's time for an upgrade - - maybe Santa will be nice :)

One last thought.. Hve you manually looked for that Ignore Other Applications in your Excel? The automated fixit might only work for later versions. I think the option itself might be around in earlier versions as well.

Yes the option is present in Office 2000 Small Business but is already cleard :sigh:

Thanks again for the offer :wave:

Back