Problem playing 4K videos

Mark Fuller

I cannot play some 4k videos on windows media player legacy. I have an asus laptop with windows 11. I would like to be able to mix videos with audio visualizations in the same playlist which I can do with windows media player except for the 4k videos. There are still things I can do in this regard with windows media player which I cannot do with VLC media player or even commercial versions like NERO. Is there anyone out there who may know why I am unable to play 4K videos downloaded from youtube on Windows Media Player legacy?

I cannot play some 4k videos on windows media player legacy. I have an asus laptop with windows 11. I would like to be able to mix videos with audio visualizations in the same playlist which I can do with windows media player except for the 4k videos. There are still things I can do in this regard with windows media player which I cannot do with VLC media player or even commercial versions like NERO. Is there anyone out there who may know why I am unable to play 4K videos downloaded from youtube on Windows Media Player legacy?
Playing 4K videos in Windows Media Player Legacy may encounter issues due to codec limitations. The legacy version of Windows Media Player may not have the necessary codecs to handle the specific video compression used in some 4K videos. Here are a few suggestions to address the issue:

1. Update Codecs:
    • Ensure that you have the latest video codecs installed on your system. You can use codec packs like K-Lite Codec Pack or Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) to update and install additional codecs.
  2. Use a Different Player:
    • Consider using a more modern media player like VLC Media Player or MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema). These players often come with built-in codecs and can handle a wide range of video formats, including 4K.
  3. Check Hardware Acceleration:
    • In Windows Media Player, check if hardware acceleration is enabled. Sometimes, disabling or enabling hardware acceleration can resolve playback issues. To do this, go to "Options" > "Performance" and adjust the hardware acceleration settings.
  4. Use External Codecs:
    • Some 4K videos may require specific codecs that are not included with Windows Media Player. You can try installing third-party codec packs or individual codecs to enhance compatibility.
  5. Convert Videos:
    • If the issue persists, you might consider converting the 4K videos to a format that Windows Media Player Legacy supports. Tools like HandBrake or Format Factory can be used for this purpose.
  6. Check System Requirements:
    • Ensure that your hardware meets the requirements for playing 4K videos. 4K videos demand significant processing power and a compatible graphics card.

Back