TechSpot

Problem viewing jpg files from Nikon camera @@

By saiyantau
Mar 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Quite desperate now...

I accidentally deleted some photos from the SD card when I'm trying to copy them into the desktop. And I searched on the internet which suggested me to use the EASESU data recovery wizard, to recover the photos...and the problem is, I got the files back in jpg format and seems nothing is different from other jpg files, but I can't view those recovered files in any software anymore...what's the problem?

FYI, the windows viewer said something like this: "cannot open file because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found".

thanks for the help><

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

The first 4 bytes of many files are the file type marker ; apparently they are missing or corrupted.

3. jobeard

Hmm; I seem to recall that Nikon has a RAW format - - got any tools for photo editing?

4. saiyantau

saiyantau TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes I got photoshop, but I tried opening the file using photoshop and it said file type not supported. Is there any way I can make it? thxxxxx

Ah and another small issue...I deleted a few photos when viewing them using the camera, and they are fine after recovery; and I deleted a bunch when inserting the SD card into the computer , and those cannot be viewed after recovery.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  5. jobeard

Find a problem file that is small and attach it to your reply.
    I'll see if some of my tools can deduce the media type or if it's truly corrupted

6. saiyantau

saiyantau TS Rookie Topic Starter