Problem viewing PDFs in Mozilla

Doug8765

Hi -
My workhorse browser is Mozilla, but I cannot use Mozilla to read pdf files. I always have to copy the url to IE, which is a pain. I've tried to use the Mozilla forums, but they have a solution that is useless and so I cannot get help for this problem.

The problem started when I allowed myself to tryout a substitute for the regular pdf viewer - it was called foxit. I don't remember anymore why I did not like foxit, but I had to go back to the regular pdf viewer. Unfortunately, the foxit removal did not work correctly so that whenever I try to view a pdf I get a foxit error.

I have consistently gotten great help here on solving problems, so I ask if anyone here will help me to get back to the place where I can read pdfs in Mozilla.

Thank you in advance.
Doug Roberts

I ONLY use Fixit with FF, Opera & IE

suggest you uninstall it, reboot, and reinstall

Hi Jobeard -
Thanks for the reply.

What is Fixit? What should I uninstalll? Foxit has not been installed for a very long time.

Doug

Hi Jobeard -
So what should I uninstall? Foxit has not been installed for at least a year.

Doug

UNINSTALL, In this order:
  • all versions of Java
  • all versions of Foxit
  • all versions of Adobe Reader
  • all version of Firefox.
reboot

reload your software choices in this order
  • Firefox
  • Foxit OR Adobe Reader
  • Java Runtime
  • then enable the Java Plugin

Installed programs go into \Program Files where all users can get to them.

User Bookmarks are unique per user and are stored in the %userprofile% area;
ergo, your bookmarks should be left and rediscovered when you reinstall.

Just to be safe, you might export them into another document :wave:

Hi Jobeard -
I've been reading the byzantine instructions for Mozilla Firefox since you posted that set of instructions to save the bookmarks. Sure does not seem to be straightforward. I found a directory with stuff that looks like it is bookmarks - but there are a bunch of files and subdirectories so there's no single set of text to put into a document as you prescribe.
There's warnings in the Mozilla Firefox instructions not to uninstall and reinstall in order to fix problems, rather to make a new profile. Problem is that the instructions to make a new profile seem as complicated as IRS tax code.

Looking for further information from you. Thank you for your help.

Doug

Firefox -> Bookmarks->OrganizeBM
Import & Backup->Export HTML​
you can save it wherever you please.

Later you can Import from HTML File

Hi Jobeard -
OK! Even I can follow that. I've got other stuff to do until later today, but I have done that export. So that should mean then that I can now uninstall and reinstall and then import those bookmarks. Correct?

Doug

Back