TechSpot

Problem with 5.1 CMEDIA

By dedpresident
Dec 28, 2004
  1. I've got a brand-new CMEDIA 5.1 sound card that I just put into my Win2K box (Right now I'm posting from my XP one) and the first time I put it in gave me a resource error message right after post. I ignored it for the time being but, of course, when I booted up I had no sound. So I plugged it into one of my other PCI slots, it booted up without giving me an error, I installed the drivers, and it worked brilliantly. Then, when I tried to plug a speaker into the subwoofer jack my computer froze up and I had to simulate a "power failure". Damn. Ok, I restart it and there goes the system resource error message again. So I took out the sound card, moved it to my third and last PCI socket and booted back up. I really want to plug in a subwoofer but I'm trying to learn from my mistakes.

All that aside, I think I know where the problem is...
    When I go into the Win2K mixer "About", it says:
    Chip version - CMI8738 6CH SPDIF
    Configuration:
    Line-in and rear speaker output share the same jack
    Microphone and subwoofer share the same jack

OK, so I went into the mixer configuration and tried changing the number of speakers to 6, and that didn't fix it. I'm out of ideas
    HELP!!!

RAM - 160MB PC100
    BIOS - AN OLD VERSION OF PHOENIX, I BELIEVE
    SOCKETS - 3 PCI SLOTS
    HARD DRIVE - 30GB MAXTOR
    SOUND - CMEDIA 5.1 (NO ONBOARD SOUND)
    VIDEO - ONBOARD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.