TechSpot

Problem with 5.1 CMEDIA

By dedpresident
Dec 28, 2004
  1. I've got a brand-new CMEDIA 5.1 sound card that I just put into my Win2K box (Right now I'm posting from my XP one) and the first time I put it in gave me a resource error message right after post. I ignored it for the time being but, of course, when I booted up I had no sound. So I plugged it into one of my other PCI slots, it booted up without giving me an error, I installed the drivers, and it worked brilliantly. Then, when I tried to plug a speaker into the subwoofer jack my computer froze up and I had to simulate a "power failure". Damn. Ok, I restart it and there goes the system resource error message again. So I took out the sound card, moved it to my third and last PCI socket and booted back up. I really want to plug in a subwoofer but I'm trying to learn from my mistakes.

All that aside, I think I know where the problem is...
    When I go into the Win2K mixer "About", it says:
    Chip version - CMI8738 6CH SPDIF
    Configuration:
    Line-in and rear speaker output share the same jack
    Microphone and subwoofer share the same jack

OK, so I went into the mixer configuration and tried changing the number of speakers to 6, and that didn't fix it. I'm out of ideas
    HELP!!!

RAM - 160MB PC100
    BIOS - AN OLD VERSION OF PHOENIX, I BELIEVE
    SOCKETS - 3 PCI SLOTS
    HARD DRIVE - 30GB MAXTOR
    SOUND - CMEDIA 5.1 (NO ONBOARD SOUND)
    VIDEO - ONBOARD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.