Problem with downloading WOW patch. Firewall problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saosin

Hi I am trying to download a World of Warcraft patch and it says there is a firewall detected. Well I dont have SP2 yet, and I dont have Norton. AVG doesnt have one and ive done a search for a firewall but no luck. Can someone help me find where it is coming from? Thanks

What you can do is disable the firewall temperaly ( sorry for bad spelling )
while download is being copied to your system, If that doesnt work you might have to go to www.blizzard.com ( or what ever the WoW site is ) and download the patch manualy

Hope I helped :)

lol its alright. Well how would I disable it? I dont even know where the firewall is at. Ilooked it up in control panel and it is not there. idk...

What firewall do you have?

I recommend getting Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall because it's pretty good and you can config it to what ever you want

um I dont know. I cant even find it because I dont know where it is. I never installed one and I never had norton installed.

Dont get Norton

Well if you never installed one then you must have a Defaulted firewall ( Window's firewall / Microsoft firewall ) and if you dont have the default then you dont have one at all...

Go to www.google.com and search Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall and download it then install it onto your computer then restart so your new firewall is Sunbelt then when you install the WoW patch right click the firewall icon ( on the bottom in the bar thing ) and put Disable Firewall. After download re-enable it then have fun :)

IGNORE THIS ERROR...

It's NOT a "Firewall detected" error, but instead an "It appears you MAY be behind a firewall" warning.

You can put your PC bare-naked on the internet with no firewall (soft or hard) tier-1 right on the backbone and the Blizzard Downloader will STILL say "It appears you may be behind a firewall.." right now.

The reason being- the latest BackgroundDownloader patch added some reduced bandwidth coding to it's torrent system but failed to change the rest of the program to be aware of it.

As the next patch is going to be HUGE, they have broken this HUGE patch it into multiple parts and will be releasing it a piece at a time over a few weeks (starting just before Thanksgiving when they also patched the downloader for this).

It's running in such a way to only use spare bandwidth and at a very low priority so it's tripping over the "hmm.. must be a firewall" code when it's operating NORMALLY. It's designed to go very slow and over a long time.

I recommend making a shortcut to the BackgroundDownloader.exe and putting it on your desktop or putting it in your Startup group to let it run 24/7 for the next few weeks.. or at least until you get the first two parts fully (part1 is like 34mb, part 2 > 400mb). Word is there are a couple more pieces Blizzard will be placing into the mix the next week or so.. then will come the big patch day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back