TechSpot

Problem with flash drive

By bhanu210
Feb 29, 2008
  1. Hi all,
    I have a Iball 1gb pendrive. My proble is that i can not keep any files into it.
    when i try to copy/cut any file/folder from my hard disk and try to paste
    it inside the pendrive, it is showing a "Can not copy<file/folder name>: The disk is write protected" and "Remove the write protection or use another disk".

I do not remember if i had made this one write protected or not. Please suggest me what to do. This is a new pen drive and i had never kept files/folders inside it.

Please suggest me how to remove the write protected option

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,266   +92

There should be a physical switch on the drive to enable or disable write protection as long as your drive has the feature.

If it's a new drive I assume you've layed a file structure down on it? Open "My Computer", right click on the drive and click "Format...". Do not choose the "Quick Format" option. I can't see why you'd be getting a write protection error without having formatted, but hey, worth a shot.

If you haven't got the switch and formatting the drive doesn't do anything, you might want to look into getting it replaced.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Got to the website of the manufacturer, and seek help on restoring the flash drive. It is probably a goner, but some manufacturers will replace or repair or reformat them... in the first year of ownership

4. bhanu210

bhanu210 TS Rookie Topic Starter

"Hello Friends,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions . Now the pen drive is working
    I had contacted the technical department from www (dot) iball(dot)co(dot)in and they solved the problem. Today i had mailed him about the problem and Sagar Saha (One from their tech. dept.) replied that mail so quickly.

As for the instruction i had downloaded the utility software from theire website and format the drive using that. Now its working well.

Thanks a lot for your co-operation.

Mitrabhanu

5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Thank you for the update. Good information to know.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.