TechSpot

Problem with formatting and installing win7

By skippy22
Jul 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hello!
    im tying to format and install win7 via bootable usb. with no luck.
    the computer recognize the usb and also boot through it, but at the start of the installation shows me a window with the message:

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"
    "Load Driver
    A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
    Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

I found on google that the reason might be the usb ports. if they are usb 3.0 it won't work.
    and I think mine are usb 3.0, it shows above to ports a symbol of usb and "ss" before it.
    do you have any idea you guys?
    thank you!

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,262   +1,551

Without USB 3.0 drivers the port should still work as a 2.0 port. USB 3.0 ports are usually color coded blue. If you have ports that are not blue, they are more than likely not USB 3.0 ports. All I can suggest is trying a port that is not USB 3.0, although I don't understand why USB 3.0 ports don't work. USB 3.0 is USB 2.0 with an additional chip and connector pins for faster throughput.

JC713 likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

Like Cliffy said above, try finding a USB input that does not say "SS" before it (USB 3.0 are usually colored blue also). SS stands for super speed USB, which is USB 3.0. You may want to refer to this documentation on clean installing Windows.

4. skippy22

skippy22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have a DELL XPS L502X. it has only this 2 slots colored blue with the ss symbol above.

5. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

Dell xps 15 L502X
    try the usb 2.0 port.

6. skippy22

you're right. I will give it a try. thanks!

7. skippy22

Well that worked. thanks!
    I didn't know that there is a slot like 1 USB 2.0/eSATA combo.

misor likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.