Problem with games

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkdex

Ive had this problem for along time, any game i play from age of empires that came out like 10 years ago to left 4 dead recently. At like a random point in the game the fps will just drop from like 40 to 3 or some low number for a few minutes then goes back to normal then it gradually gets worse till i cant play.
I dont think its a malware problem as i have reformatted many time but the problems still persist even after reinstalling windows and updating all drivers, i thought it could be my graphics card overheating so i put in another fan and while playing a game it goes up to 60 celsius which seems ok.
My pc specs are :
Windows XP SP3
AMD athlon 64 processor 4000+ 2.4 ghz
1gb ram
Nvidia geforce 9600gt
Any help would be much appreciated.

I suspect you do not have enough RAM... or your hard drive does not have enough free space.
But you might want to try the 8-Steps program found here on TechSpot to look for possible infestations.

yeah thats what i thought but games lag when they only require like 50 mb ram and i have 70gb left on my hard drive so i dont think its that.
I dont think its a malware infection as the pc that has the problem isnt connected to the internet right now and ive just reformated it again.

For older games that were published before Windows XP came out, if you are having trouble with them, change the compatibility mode to an older Windows version such as Windows 98 or NT.

There are a couple of ways to change the mode. One way is to right click on the game icon or the game .exe file, select Properties and click on the Compatibility tab. The rest you should be able to figure out. The second way is to use the Program Compatibility Wizard under Accessories under All Programs in the Start menu. The advantage of the Wizard is that you can try running the game under different compatibility modes within the Wizard without leaving it. When you find a satisfactory mode, set it and you're done.

hey sparkdex

Sounds like a graphics card issue to me. Try taking out the card and letting the comp run on on-board graphics. The older games should still run even without a card installed. Check if the problem persists. If it does, it might be a CPU or a heatsink issue and not a graphics card one. Is your graphics card compatible with your motherboard too?

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back