Problem with GeForce 7800 GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFSFAN

I have a problem with my video card. The problem is that every time I play a game or benchmark my video card artifacts and crashes. It never did this before until yesterday. When I first played RoboHordes, after 10 mins or so it just locked up and crashed. Idle temps are: 46-48 Celsius and Load is 51-53 Celsius. I have however overclocked the card, but never had any issues until now.

NFSFAN said:
I have a problem with my video card. The problem is that every time I play a game or benchmark my video card artifacts and crashes. It never did this before until yesterday. When I first played RoboHordes, after 10 mins or so it just locked up and crashed. Idle temps are: 46-48 Celsius and Load is 51-53 Celsius. I have however overclocked the card, but never had any issues until now.
Underclock it to stock and see how it is.

I don't want to underclock it, because I had kept it overclocked for 4months now and never had any problems. Now sudddenly it just artifacts and crashes. Any ideas why?

Did you install new drivers, anything thing related to your graphics card? In thoes 4 months? Also what are you using to overclock?

Ambient temperatures and dust will affect the performance of the video card. Try aiming a desk fan at it and see if it helps. Do this after cleaning out all the dust in ur case though.

NFSFAN said:
I don't want to underclock it, because I had kept it overclocked for 4months now and never had any problems. Now sudddenly it just artifacts and crashes. Any ideas why?

Just because you don't want to does not mean you have an option. Problems in computers tend to not arrise until the computer part is dulling out. It is very possible that the card just can't take it anymore. I am no expert with video cards, but I do know that we all have to do things that we don't want to do.

Can anyone upload or point me to where i could download a bios file for my XFX Geforce 7800 GS it has a G71 chip, i have searched every where but cannot find one

Sorry for the double post. I don't know what happened to my 7800 gs, but i reflashed the original bios, and now it doesn't boot up anymore. If I run it with a PCI card and install the nvidia drivers for the 7800 gs, windows can control the fan speed and sees it. But I cannot use it because it doesn't boot up. I did not modify the bios at all, just reflashed it with the original. I really need this computer. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on. I would appreciate if someone could upload their XFX 7800 GS EE (G71) bios.

OK GUYS, sorry for the triple post, but this is really killing me. The 7800 GS works I played a game on it just now, but the only way i could is by using the pci card, and then extending my desktop to the 7800 gs card. It is really weird, but the thing is that it works. I would appreciate someone to help me get this video card to boot. I cannot get it to boot what so ever. I tried loading setup defaults in my bios, but when i take the pci card out everything is dead. I have a project to do and i can't because this issue is taking my time. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm through with overclocking. Never doing it again. All i want is to get my 7800 gs to boot up again. Can you stay online, or can you please help me somehow. THANKS

OK, I fixed the boot up problem. Everything is ok and working... yay:bounce:
There is still one problem that remains however. My overclocking performance as I mentioned in the beginning of the thread is still poor. It used to be rock stable at 535mhz Core Clock and 1460Mhz memory clock. Now it is not even stable at 525 Core and 1400 Mem. Everything started yesterday at around 5 p.m. What is curious though is that i was benchmarking in 3dmark 05 and it was rock stable, now today it keeps locking up. I do not think that the GPU dies away that fast???

The reason it wont keep the core and memory speeds is because its hurt...Wait a few days and try but im not making any promises..also it may never be the same..

What I did was I took off the cooler and put AS5 on it. My temperatures reduced by 4 Degrees Celsius:stickout:
But I am still not able to oc to my old frequencies without the card freezing or crashing. Do you think that if I leave it for a few days at my old frequencies without running any 3d app or games, it will mend itself????

It's called OCing. Some people like experimenting with there components, and try to push them to the max that will be allowed.

U might have caused some permanent damage to the card I'm afraid. It's always best to get factory overclocked cards like from XFX, BFG, eVGA etc. They are usually overclocked to frequencies that will surely not damage the card in any way while giving performance superior to the stock ones, depending on the difference in clock speeds.

Sean said:
It's called OCing. Some people like experimenting with there components, and try to push them to the max that will be allowed.
Yes, but when you overclock you know you are taking a risk. That right there removes your right to ***** when things don't work properly anymore. There is a reason overclocking voids your warranty.

And I've never heard of an electronic anything healing itself, it's not a biological entity. If you've damaged the GPU from excessive heat due to OCing then it stays damaged. It probably crashes at a lower temp now and all you can do is NOT OC anymore and maybe invest in an after market beefed up GPU cooler.

I don't know, but the max temp my 7800 gs was at is 54 Celsius. And it is a XFX GeForce 7800 GS Extreme Edition (G71). I would appreciate it if anyone could send me a bios, because the one I am using now is messed up. I did not overvolt the card or anything, just overclock.

Sean said:

I dont give a crap what is called and its still overclocking...And I don't see why you need to overclock it...When you overclock you shouldnt cry to people when your GPU or whatever doesnt work correctly anymore..

It was your risk to take..

Ok, first of all lets not make this a heated thread. And lets act like people here. I wasn't complaining to anyone, I was just curious why it suddenly crashed like that. Just to let everyone know I modded my 7800 gs bios to give it 1.13v for 3d, and I overclocked it back to 530mhz for core and 1460 for mem. Guess what it worked perfectly in 3dmark05 and 06 without artifacting or crashing at all. However when I run Robohordes based on the Unreal 3 Engine, it artifacts just a bit, but it doesn't bother me because I can barely see it. When I run ATITool it artifacts a bit as well, but every 3 mins. Temp is now max at 51 Degrees Celsius. What I will do is wait for the AS5 to settle in, as I can tell it already made 3 degrees of difference, and run ATITool again see if it artifacts. It is getting better, it seems it needed just a bit more voltage. Every time I run ATITool it artifacts less and less. I think that this is the effect of the AS5. Can anyone tell me if there is a better cooler out there other than my stock one?? I heard the Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 is coming out this October, but it was supposed to come out in June 2006.

You can use ATItool with nvidia GPUs????? I thought it was only for ATi GPUs? I mean, it IS called ATiTool...

It absolutely can, the same way that RivaTuner can be used for ATi & NVIDIA cards, even though Riva is mostly associated with NVIDIA.

I'm not sure if Zelman reaches the RAM chip too but they do wonders for the gpu.

I'd recommend getting an after market that fits over the RAM chips too. I think this is part of your problem with artifacting now. (IMO)

EDIT: Zalman states the 8 RAM heatsinks (one will fit) is enough to cool the RAM b/c of it's close proximity to the air flow off the mofo fan.

OK, guess what every one, I finally found the problem to all of the freezing and crashing. It was a program called speed fan, this program kept reducing the rpm on my GPU fan resulting in overheating. I am now back with my old clocks and without problems. THANK YOU ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back