Problem with Geforce3, low fps in CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonyclaws

HELP!20 fps with geForce 3

I just purchased a Hercules ProphetIII Ti 200. I works fine in games like Dugeon Siege but in Counter-Strike I'm getting 20fps and down to 6fps in a firefight. I had better results with my Riva TNT2 Pro(30fps). I cleanly installed the new det3 drivers and I'm still getting low frame rates. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Hercules Prophet III Ti 200 GeForce3
Intel Fedora motherboard
Intel P3 1.0gighrtz cpu

Stonyclaws

Welcome to 3dspotlight...

First of after the welcome I would point you to the forum FAQ for some information about how the forums operate (link top right of the page and in my signature).

When you say cleanly installed detonators, what was the process that you went through? Uninstall then reinstall?
Most people like to get rid of all *.dll files and anything that Nvidia didn't bother putting in their uninstall routines by using a tool called the detonator destroyer.
Information about recommended methods of detonator removal/installation can be found in this thread.
Also I would reinstall Half Life and CS, and check out the 3dspotlight Half Life/CS/TFC tweak guide for more information about specific game settings.
Also have a read of the 3dspotlight Geforce Tweaking guide, and one final good resource for information about solving problems with Geforce cards is the GeforceFaq (in my signature).

Hope some of this is of help...

Originally posted by Stonyclaws
cleanly installed the new det3 drivers

It may just be a typo but I hope you didn't install Detonator 3 drivers. Post the driver version. You can find that out by opening Control Panel and double-clicking on Display.

The Display window that opens should look something like this:
displayproperties.gif

Step 4: See that number with a rectangle around it? That is the driver version. Please post the number you see there.

It would also be helpful if you would post the version of Windows you are using.

Originally posted by Stonyclaws
Sorry to drop in like that. Uh thanks, i'll read the FAQ now.

Hey no problem. Just like to suggest reading it.
One thing to note is that you don't need to say "Help dudes!" as generally everyone is here for or to help ;)

Must be a config problem. I have the same card & it's doing 72fps non stop ( the frame rate is capped @ 72 ). Might wanna check to see if FSAA is enabled or 8x anisotropic filtering.

Its working better now thanks. I'm getting 70fps. Installed det4 21.83.
I have another question. How stable can I get my max fps to be?

If your getting 70 fps your pretty much at the limit for that card. The only way to get more fps is to drop resolutions down, set color depth to 16 bit and turn off any other visual enhancement. Personally, I think there is a point where if your getting 60-70 fps and you got good visuals your getting the most out of the card. Sure you can make it run faster but your visual quality will decrease to the point that the game wont be worth playing.

I would hardly say that the limit of a GF3 Ti200 in Half Life Counter-strike is 70fps, maybe but I doubt it. StonyClaws if you have a read through the Half Life tweak guide you'll find a reference to a client variable called "fps_max" which at default limits the frames per second that you will get in Half Life. Either edit this variable in the config file (location in 3dspotlight guide) or bring the console down in game and type "fps_max", this will display the current limit. Type "fps_max 100" and you will probably see that you are receiving 99 fps depending on whether or not you have antialiasing switched on and ani-filtering (On my original GF3 I have 4x AA and 2x Ani-filtering and still get 99fps on CS at 1024x768).

Also something to consider is depending on your version of OS (windows 98SE, windows ME, windows 2000, windows XP) you could have the problem of your monitor refresh rate limiting the frames per second (72, 74, 75 Hz = ~70 fps, 1 frame per update of the monitors display). You can switch of Vsync which controls the synchronising of your displayed fps with your monitors Vertical Sync in the drivers (Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Geforce 3/Additional Properties/OpenGL Or DirectX - See the image posted by DaveSylvia for details). Switching this off can lead to what is known as visual tears, this is where you can see gaps between textures and other problems with 3d graphics rendering.
Check what frequency that your monitor supports at the resolution that you are playing CS at as you are probably best to keep Vsync on for visual consistency, saying that if you want fluid movement in the game disabling Vsync can help.

Hope this information (which is contained in the guides I linked) is of use ;)

Using windows XP then?
I haven't updated from win98SE as from every article, printed and online, that I have read about gaming performance this still seems to be the sweet point. My home PC is used most for gaming so I haven't had the joys? and woes of XP yet....
Hope you get your CS fps fixed... let us know how you get on...

[S.C.O.T.S]Arris - Drop in on Jolt.co.uk - Bannockburn 1314 Scots server sometime ;)

I tried HZtools, I put the refreshrate at 85Hz, didn't seem to do much but I'm still tweaking. My framerate is all over the place in CS. It looks like it wants to top out at 70fps but in a firefight I'm probably not getting better then 20fps. How do you keep the framerate high? I have AA off, vsync off at 800x600.
The clock speeds are 200/450.
I still learning about all the other setting with Riva Tuner. I'm still reading the FAQ's but I never was a patient man.

I take that you have reinstalled HL and CS to try and solve this problem? I re-read the posts and saw no indication of this though...

Have you turned VSYNC OFF? VSYNC limits the number of frames that can be rendered, to the refresh rate of your monitor.

Also, CS will only display 99 fps maximum anyway.

I recommend installing Windows XP Application Compatibility Update.
this update addresses issues in the following programs (US versions only, unless otherwise noted):

102 Dalmatians Puppies to the Rescue - Disney
Audigy Utilities - Creative Labs
AVIChop - Vasili Papaconstantinou
B-17 Flying Fortress - Microprose
BackWeb Lite Installer - BackWeb
DrEye2001 - Inventec
Emergency Fighters for Life - WizardWorks
FIFA 2002 - EA Sports
Grokster - Grokster, Ltd
Half-Life CounterStrike - Sierra
Hoyle Card Games 5 - Sierra
Humongous Registration Program - Humongous Entertainment
IConfig - SCM Microsystems Inc.
Jamella Diablo II Editor – Jamella (US and Korean versions)
Jekyll and Hyde - DreamCatcher Interactive
KaZaA - Sharman Networks 2002
Midtown Madness - Microsoft
Midtown Madness 2 - Microsoft
Moon Tycoon - Legacy Interactive
MTV TRL Trivia - Take2 Interactive
Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed - Electronic Arts
NHL 2002 - EA Sports
Official Formula 1 Racing - EIDOS
PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 1.0 - Adobe
The Playa - Project Mayo
PrintMaster 4.0 - MindScape