Problem with hibernation, geforce 6200

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradthegreat

I recently upgraded my video card from a crap nvidia to a geforce 6200 (not amazing, but cost effective :) ever since then, my computer has not been able to consistently resume from hibernation. This first started happening with an XP install, but I have recently updated to Vista Business Edition. I am pretty sure that it is not the operating system because I had the same symptoms with XP and Vista.

I have tried using 3rd party hibernation utilities, I have deleted and recreated the hibernate file, I have messed with the ACPI and various power settings in the BIOS, all to no avail. The system will boot past the loading screen, but when it gets to the login screen all I see is a black screen. The computer is still running, but I can't see anything. This happens until I reboot and delete the hibernation information.

The weird thing is is that if I hibernate it and resume it within 10 seconds, it comes back up fine - any longer and no beans. I have the latest nvidia Vista drivers and have updated about every other driver on the computer. My mobo is MSI K8mmv, 1 GB Corsair mem, 2 Seagate SATA HDDs, 2 IDE CD/DVD drives and a piece of crap network card I got from my grandma.

Sorry for the long post - any suggestions?

I realize that my vid card ain't very good - I didn't really want to sink a whole lot of money into my old socket 754 AMD mobo! Anyway, the hibernation would not work when vista/XP was first installed, so I would assume that uninstalling the current drivers would take it back to those. Is there some kind of a diagnostic I could run on it? What exactly do the ACPI settings do?

Windows hibernation does tend to be more trouble than it`s worth sometimes. However, there are some things you can try and see if it helps.

Different video drivers.

Check for latest chipset drivers for your mobo.

Check for mobo bios updates.

Regards Howard :)

Microsoft released 2 hot-fixes like 2 weeks ago for Vista regarding performance and reliability issues and I believe hibernation was one of the issues addressed.

yeah, I do remember the hotfixes they released - I installed both of them and they seemed to help with overall stability, but the stupid hibernation didn't work. I will try updating the chipset and drivers, but I am kindof wondering whether hibernation is worth possibly torching my mobo with a BIOS update. have any of you used the MSI autoupdate program before? is it any good? Thanks for all the help

I am kindof wondering whether hibernation is worth possibly torching my mobo with a BIOS update.

In my opinion, no it`s not worth the risk, if you can live without hibernation.

Don`t know about the MSI autoupdate so can`t really comment.

Regards Howard :)

either way, I have the latest drivers and updates for all of my hardware (at least video, mobo & BIOS). So, I guess I will just not use hibernation...I was really growing fond of it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back