Problem with HP Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

Yesterday I was watching TV and my dad was on his laptop. He was playing a game on pogo and the error popped up "not enough memory" which I had no idea why it would pop up since it is a newer laptop. I told him to reboot and the laptop wouldn't come back on. The power will come on and the lights will come on but absolutely nothing on the screen. The laptop is probably 5 months old at the max. I don't understand the memory thing, The only programs that have been installed are AVG and Adaware. It doesn't have Office, Adobe or anything he just uses it for the internet and to check email. I don't know if that error has anything to do with it or not. The computer will turn on but nothing on the screen. When it boots I can here something for a second, I cant tell if its dvd drive(which is empty) or hard drive. All of the normal lights come on. Doesn't seem to me that the screen would fail just randomly, and the out of memory error was really odd. What do you guys think I should do? It is probably over the 90 day return policy.

Known Specs,
AMD Turion64
Model No. DV6700
Windows Vista

Most commonly, this is a memory module failure. Get a replacement if under warranty, or buy from online such as directron.com, zipzoomfly.com, newegg.com, outpost.com, techdepot.com, cdw.com, tigerdirect.com
You need DDR2 PC2-6400 modules...
Perhaps only one module is bad, so pull one and test. If it works you know the one you pulled is bad. Otherwise reverse and try again with the other module.

Good luck. Let us know how it all turned out.

With a memory problem wouldn't it at least show the bios pop up? I know it is under the year warranty and I worry if I open it up it might void the warranty. Does anyone know if this is the case?

There are many computers and laptops which are dead if the memory is dead. It won't void the warranty to crack the case, because lots of people upgrade their memory... that is a normal field use.

take your laptop back to store. These HP pavillion laptops(based on nvidia chipset) can't work properly during long period of time.

I called Hp and talked to someone in tech support. They had me pull the battery and cord for ten seconds. Put the battery back in then hold the power key until the power turned on then back off. After this the computer worked fine. Hope this helps someone else who runs into a similiar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back