Problem with my dial-up modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeating

Hi, i recently got a few parts for my computer and now my modem doesn't work.
I bought a Gigabyte S-Series GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard, an AMD Athlon x2 (2.56ghz) Processer, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, and a power supply.
My modem is pine fm 3621 ESS 2818 and it says on the modem v1.2 or something like that. I have a driver for it, i'm almost certian its the right one because it can dial just fine but when it gets to 'Verifying user name & Password' part it disconnects and sometimes gives me Error 678 which basically says its going to close the port for no reason, sometimes i get error 719 or 619 one of those, i am positive that the number i'm dialing works, AND my username + password but i just don't know why i keep getting these errors.. I am using Windows XP Service pack 2, i use to have Vista but someone said that the drivers i was using was for XP only.. so i installed XP and sure enough i still got the error :mad:

And another thing, i've tried to get another driver for it...but i can't uninstall the current driver it just keeps reinstalling.. so i have no way to install the new driver.. And sometimes it even connects, but a second later it'll disconnect and say "Connection failed.." or something similar.

Any help is much appreciated, thx

Does your modem have two ports for the telephone line connector? If so, one is incoming and the other is usually for a pass through to a regular telephone. Is your phone line connected to the correct jack, that is, the incoming line? The pass through connector usually has a telephone symbol next to it.

Yes, it has two ports on the back. I've tried both..same error. and yes its connected to the same jack, i have another modem in this PC that works just fine. I want to get this one to work because the other one is a bit slow..even for dial up standards xD

Go to the Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and see if the modem driver is there. If so, this is where you uninstall it.

Edit: If I understand correctly, if you already have another modem installed, remove it. Having two modems installed may cause a conflict.

Yeah, i just removed it from Add Remove Programs, now I'm searching for the correct driver for the modem..can't find one.

And i've tried having just one modem in, i put the second one in today for convenience so i could use the internet whist looking for a way to fix the modem, I'm planning to take it out once i get things straightened up

The best place to go for the modem driver is to the modem manufacturer's website. As a last resort you can always buy a new modem. They are very inexpensive these days. Just check the specs before you buy to make sure you are getting a good one.

errorwd8.jpg

sorry for the double post but thats the error that i get, or a lot of different errors very similar to this one.. anyone?

I have a suggestion. You should Give your girlfriend a bit hug and a kiss and tell her you love her, and I bet It would fix it right up. Or u could just buy a new modem hehe.

Bump..still doesn't work.. can someone help?

is it possible that this modem doesnt work on my MA78GM-S2H mobo?

login protocols are varied by the system you are connecting to -- just like some
email POP accounts REQUIRE TLS or SSL while some NEVER do.
Verify the account settings required by the remote system.

and PS: Your Mobo has no effect on the modem :)

I'm positive that my username and password is correct but what exactly is the remote computer?

not doubting you at all -- just each system may have different requirements for secured login (eg TLS or SSL) -- check with your ISP :)

So much trouble for one Modem checking with ur ISP may be ur best bet..
then either if it works or not give your girlfriend a big huggies and a kissies and tell her you loves her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back