TechSpot

Problem with my dial-up modem

By Zeating
Dec 26, 2008
  1. Hi, i recently got a few parts for my computer and now my modem doesn't work.
    I bought a Gigabyte S-Series GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard, an AMD Athlon x2 (2.56ghz) Processer, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, and a power supply.
    My modem is pine fm 3621 ESS 2818 and it says on the modem v1.2 or something like that. I have a driver for it, i'm almost certian its the right one because it can dial just fine but when it gets to 'Verifying user name & Password' part it disconnects and sometimes gives me Error 678 which basically says its going to close the port for no reason, sometimes i get error 719 or 619 one of those, i am positive that the number i'm dialing works, AND my username + password but i just don't know why i keep getting these errors.. I am using Windows XP Service pack 2, i use to have Vista but someone said that the drivers i was using was for XP only.. so i installed XP and sure enough i still got the error :mad:

And another thing, i've tried to get another driver for it...but i can't uninstall the current driver it just keeps reinstalling.. so i have no way to install the new driver.. And sometimes it even connects, but a second later it'll disconnect and say "Connection failed.." or something similar.

Any help is much appreciated, thx

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,949   +355

Does your modem have two ports for the telephone line connector? If so, one is incoming and the other is usually for a pass through to a regular telephone. Is your phone line connected to the correct jack, that is, the incoming line? The pass through connector usually has a telephone symbol next to it.

3. Zeating

Zeating TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Yes, it has two ports on the back. I've tried both..same error. and yes its connected to the same jack, i have another modem in this PC that works just fine. I want to get this one to work because the other one is a bit slow..even for dial up standards xD

4. mailpup

Go to the Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and see if the modem driver is there. If so, this is where you uninstall it.

Edit: If I understand correctly, if you already have another modem installed, remove it. Having two modems installed may cause a conflict.

5. Zeating

Yeah, i just removed it from Add Remove Programs, now I'm searching for the correct driver for the modem..can't find one.

And i've tried having just one modem in, i put the second one in today for convenience so i could use the internet whist looking for a way to fix the modem, I'm planning to take it out once i get things straightened up

6. mailpup

The best place to go for the modem driver is to the modem manufacturer's website. As a last resort you can always buy a new modem. They are very inexpensive these days. Just check the specs before you buy to make sure you are getting a good one.

7. Zeating

anyone else got any suggestions..? no one seems to know the problem -_-'

8. Zeating

[​IMG]

sorry for the double post but thats the error that i get, or a lot of different errors very similar to this one.. anyone?

9. BerettaKerberus

BerettaKerberus TS Rookie

I have a suggestion. You should Give your girlfriend a bit hug and a kiss and tell her you love her, and I bet It would fix it right up. Or u could just buy a new modem hehe.

10. Zeating

Bump..still doesn't work.. can someone help?

is it possible that this modem doesnt work on my MA78GM-S2H mobo?

11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,106   +592

login protocols are varied by the system you are connecting to -- just like some
    email POP accounts REQUIRE TLS or SSL while some NEVER do.
    Verify the account settings required by the remote system.

and PS: Your Mobo has no effect on the modem :)

12. Zeating

I'm positive that my username and password is correct but what exactly is the remote computer?

13. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,106   +592

not doubting you at all -- just each system may have different requirements for secured login (eg TLS or SSL) -- check with your ISP :)

14. BerettaKerberus

BerettaKerberus TS Rookie

So much trouble for one Modem checking with ur ISP may be ur best bet..
    then either if it works or not give your girlfriend a big huggies and a kissies and tell her you loves her.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.