Problem with my newly bought XFX Geforce FX 5200 AGP card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as the title says, I have a problem with my new graphics card..

before I get started, I'd just like to say that this is the first grapics card I've bought after researching graphics cards

My system I made with this card is:
Asus mobo P4P800 SE
Mushkin dual pack 2x512MB DDR RAM (Total 1 Gig)
Intel P4 3.0Ghz Processor (Prescott)
80Gb Seagate harddrive
Lite-on DVD combo Drive
HP R/W CD drive
Sony FDD
(All except the HP R/W CD drive bought from Newegg.com)

Problem with Card and system:

My graphics card and system seem to restart by itself when it over heats, so I uped the heat shut off to 70C but it still has problems, and now the card isn't work with my monitor (a KDS Radius 17" LCD screen) and all the proper drivers are loaded from the nVIDIA website and I don't know what to do, can anyone give me advice to get it to work at all, because I don't really want to have to return it....

Thanks muchly for any input...

Edit: Forgot, I'm running this all off a 330W PSU, so I don't know if that helps... along with a total of 4 80mm fans in my case.

Not to mention if I'm forgetting any important info, tell me and I'll find it, I'd like to get this fixed cause it is headache city.

It sounds like the card is overheating and that could have damaged the card. The 5200's seem to be very troublesome. If you can get a 5500 or a Radeon 9550. Thay dont cost much more.

Well I thought about that.... but at the moment right now, being a college student getting ready to go on Spring break my funds are tapped....

Would anyone recommend a FX 5700 as a good video card?

and what about a good yet desently priced case that would let more air then the current one I have? any ideas at all would be nice

hey it certainly sound like overheating,are you sure that your cpu is not overheating,if its the card then either its fan is not working or the heatsink is not seated properly.if its under warranty take it back your card's faulty,if its not under warranty well..........you can consider doing a fan/heatsink mod yourself.google around for a few guides and tutorial that tell you how to do this.good luck

the 5700 is certainly better than the 5200, although i've had the 5200 for 2 years now, and it runs any game out there.

ello...

try to update your bios on graphic card and bios on your motherboard.. I had similar problem and I fixed it with bios upgrading.... for graphic's bios update check this out http://www.mvktech.net ... for motherboard's bios update check your cd for motherboard, there is some util for bios updating... I hope this will help.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back