Problem with N2U-400A Radeon Pro 9800 and GeForce FX 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear TechSpot Community,

Computer Spec:
N2U-400A
Athlon 2600XP Barton
1GB OCZ PC3200 (Optimal Setting) (166 FSB)
Antec 350 Power Supply

I would like your help/advice on solving the following problem. I had recently installed a ATI-Powered Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb, which took about an hour to install because the motherboard (N2U-400A) kept on beeping or the LCD would just give me a No Display message: the Radeon 9800 Pro worked fine and I used it for 2 hours but I decided to return it since one of the screw/joint was missing for connecting a CRT display. So, I removed it and replaced it with my old GeForce 5200 FX 128mb Gainward which had been used since I had built my computer (above configuration). However, the motherboard would keep beeping and the LCD shows no display when I boot my computer. I did reset my CMOS but I can not even get to the BIOS menu. I would like to know what the problem is and how I can solve it. Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you.

Sounds like the mobo just happened to fail, amybe a bad AGP slot. The only way to check for sure is to swap in another card.

Dear vegasgmc,

Thank you for the quick reply. As you had suggested, the AGP slot seems to have failed (for some reason). I tried it with a GeForce MX 440 and it still gave me the same problem. The warranty (I think it's a 12 month period) on the motherboard has already expired (purchase on March 2004). Should I purchase a new motherboard or buy a PCI video card and see if it works?

Most motherboard amnufacturers give a 3 year warranty. The PCI video card should work but unless you can find an FX 5700 you wont be happy with the gaming results. The only PCI cards Ive seen are low end like 5700LE and 9200.

Dear Dear vegasgmc,

Again, thank you very much for your help. I am going to contact ECS and ask them about the warranty and if possible, request a RMA.

Update:

Warranty Period
All ECS motherboards are covered by a one (1) year warranty on parts and labor against defects in workmanship and manufacturing. The warranty is effective from the date of ECS' original invoice, unless stated otherwise in writing.

http://www.ecsusa.com/support/rmamb.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back