Problem with new 9800 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

recently bought a radeon 9800 pro 256 and tried to install it. After going through the hardware installation wizard (don't ask, I honestly don't know why I used this either) my screen went all choppy and corrupt so this time I booted up the driver disk and followed the autoplay options to install the ATI drivers etc... After restarting my computer however it would get to the windows XP loading bar and then instead of the next screen being the log in screen it would come up black and white "corrupt" like before (no images just black and white squares over my screen).

Reinstalled my old graphics card (ti4200) and that still worked fine so found a program to remove my ati drivers and then when I put the 9800 back in it would allow windows to load but the screen was still corrupt and once again after I installed the drivers from the CD my system wouldn't load again.

Any ideas would be gratefully received :)

Welcome to Techspot/1

Did you remove the old drivers first and revert to standard vga drivers ,then install the 9800>drivers?

More info

Could we get more info on your system specs if Liquid's suggestion did not work. Several boards have problem running the ATI cards and need a ton of tweaking to get you there. (AGP fast writes, 8x AGP multiplier are two common culprits). I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board and have never gotten 8X AGP to work.

uninstalled the old drivers and tried installing the newest download of the drivers just and got Error 194 d:\program files\ati technologies\ati.acg\atiacmxx.dll failed to register HRESUCT - 2147220473 Dunno if that means anything to anyone.

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-7VAX Rev: 1.2
Athlon xp 2700+
Chieftec ATX 12v PSU (360W)
Saphire Radeon 9800 pro atlantis 256mb
1 gig 333 DDR
anything else I need spec wise let me know

Uninstall

Try to do a google search for "Driver cleaner". Then use that to clean your old drvers out. Windows uninstall is not absolute and this will really do the job better. I had similar problems you're having. I reinstalled the drivers I had in the system to get everything to work, used driver cleaner, rebooted and then installed the new stuff. All is well now.

:( Tried the driver cleaner and removed every graphics driver I could find then rebooted, installed the ATI drivers and....no good. Still got the same error message and same problem :( Think i should consider it faulty and send it back?

Unless there is another machine you can test it in it looks like it should go back.
As a final check You might want to confirm
-settings in bios eg.Video cache,onboard video etc.,force an update on the PCI bus using the ESCD clear setting if it is there.
-Change the monitor cable /or the manner it is attached(We have had more than 1 guy n here with a bad cable)
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back