Problem with RAID 0 volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys.

My latest Computer which I built about 4 weeks ago is playing up.

It is the first time I have used Sata drives and my first RAID setup. My chipset is 945P, I have two WD 3.0 250gb Hard drives set up as RAID 0. I have Wndows with SP2.

Anyway here's what it is doing. Most times I start it up it will not boot, I get a black screen asking me to select proper boot drive. I have tried loads of different 'boot orders' but it is still unpredictable so I will keep trying by turning it off and on and it will boot eventually. The thing is, Sometimes when the computer is on and I am doing something it will crash and go to that same screen.

The other problem I have is I am getting an alert from my task bar that says an Error has occurred in my RAID volume and I should backup immediately. If I click on the icon it will take me to the "intel matrix storage console" where it will state that my volume on Port 1 has an error.

What I'd like to know is if the two problems I am having are related and if the 'error' on Port 1 is a physical error within that HD or I can just format and start again.

Any help is appreciated and I am happy to answer any questions.

Chhers.

Your problems are probably related (... won't boot and utility claiming there's an error on your array).

Since it boots sometimes and other times it doesn't, the problem sounds intermittent. Errors with your file system, MBR, partitions etc. tend to stay errors - they don't just work themselves out after a few restarts - which leaves hardware failure as a probable cause.

What is the error you recieve when you try to boot sometimes? Is it something like a black screen with an error that claims boot failure or no OS found? This would reinforce the idea of hardware. If you see an error that says something like NTLDR is missing then it isn't as concrete, in my opinion.

Even less likely (but possible) is a problem with your memory/RAM.

You should attempt to run some drive and memory diagnostics. Check the top of the Storage and Network forum for a sticky with drive diagnostic utilities.

while you got it running update raid drivers sounds like they are corrupt
if not that the raid controllers may be bad
make sure all the cables are in good
just shoot'n in the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back