Problem with search window in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CkY SkOOpS

My search window for windows xp doesnt have the bubble where you can search on your computer, it looks like this. Ive restarted the computer numerous times and ive ran ad-aware, but none of those things work.

Whats going on?

It looks like this:

Attachments

• search.jpg
    search.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13
So I'm assuming that people are not too sure. It's just really hard for me to find some programs because I don't know the exact location.

If people have any type of feedback for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a System Restore to a time before this happened?

Otherwise try this:

"Method 3: Reinstall the Search Companion Files
To resolve this problem without obtaining the hotfix or installing Windows XP SP1, follow these steps:
Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.
Locate the Srchasst.inf file.
Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses.
NOTE: You may need your Windows XP CD-ROM to finish installing Search Companion. This issue may occur again if you have Search Companion open when you connect to your ISP.

The problem may continue to occur after you disconnect from the Internet because the files that have been corrupted are cached. You can view the appropriate files (open them with Notepad, not Microsoft Internet Explorer) to determine the source of the corruption. The files that are involved are:
Balloon.xsl
Bar.xsl
Lclsrch.xml
WORKAROUND
To prevent this problem from occurring, make sure the Search Companion is closed before you connect to your ISP."

.....or go directy HERE !

Hope it helps.

Ok, I'm attempting method 3, and I am up to here, Im not too sure of what I should do next.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• install.jpg
    install.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
Originally posted by CkY SkOOpS
Ok, I'm attempting method 3, and I am up to here, Im not too sure of what I should do next.

Thanks for your help.

I can't quite make out your screenshot but have you got your O/S cd in the drive with the ability to point to it for the files it needs? Going to bed now....hope you can get it going.

I put this in D:\i386 for the fil that it needed, and it found the file msgre3n.dll, it installed everything. I went back to see my search window and it still looks exactly the same. Any feedback?

Hi guys!!!

I am digging up this thread to ask a follow-up question.
In a win XP pc, i have the same problem with skyscoops, with the search companion.
I followed the solution that microsoft suggests 2-3 times, but the problem re-occurs after a while.

I must inform you that the pc is connected to a network, that connects to the internet via proxy, and i have disabled all services that exchanges information to the internet in the background (a.k.a. win updates, etc), but the problem persists.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back