Problem with something redirecting my net searches to webcry

Status
Not open for further replies.

top_model_guy

About a week ago, I was perusing a site that requested that I install some plug in in order to view their videos. At the time it didn't seem bizarre because my adobe plug ins had been updated lately and maybe this was another update. The link to update kept being blocked by my window explorer when I clicked open, therefore I adverted to saving it onto my desktop and running it--big problem. The download gave me no extra access to anything online, but did trouble me with my current problem which includes the majority of my google and yahoo searches opening up another window in which something near the name of webcry.com comes up which in return directs me to a variety of advertising sites. I've tried running AVG scans and an Ad-Aware 2007 scan and found some bugs and deleted them, but still the google/yahoo searches have the same problem. I'm posting my Hijackthis log and am thanking you for all your help. Thanks!

P.S. I need to buy some online plane tickets: can I do this without the fear of losing my personal data to this problem?
P.P.S. In my firefox, I'm not having this same problem: should I use it to fill out online forms?

Thanks!

My problem appears to be fixed thanks to your instructions jobeard. Thanks so much (now I'm back to searching the web without worries:D )

ok, great!

now; what will you do to avoid a repeat of this (ie getting infected) ?

Well since I can truly blame getting this virus on myself seeing that I have zone alarm running, AVG free edition, and both yahoo and google pop up blockers, next time I won't *****ically download a file that my computer is making an effort to block. I know that I should only run Active X plug ins from credited sites and this time I was just in a rush for something that I wasn't thinking about that.

very good! :) :wave:

you've landing in the square that says
no matter how much security I install, it's the user that makes or breaks the system.​

very best wishes,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back