Problem with sound card and modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackpot316

I have a Creative sound blaster Audigy SE sound card and a USR 56k pci faxmodem windows xp pro..... 2gigs of ram intel core duo

The problem that I am having is when I am playing a music cd or any type of sound and tur on my modem and dial my isp a few seconds after with my music cd playing my sound will freeze up and the pc will crash to the blue screen

This only happends if the dialup modem is on it works flawless with the modem off SO far I have updated drivers for both and did a clean sweep of both drivers and reinstalled 2 times Also switched around the cards in the pci slots still have the same problem I have tried everything I can, and can not find how to fix this.

I have contacted both Usroboticsfor the modem and Creative for the sound card so far everything they have had me to do has not worked
Onboard sound has been disabled in bios modem is on IRQ 16 AND SOUND CARD is on IRQ 17.... It does not show any conflicts between the two.

To add --When this problem happends the sound will freeze right in the middle of a song and within A sec the bluescreen of death will pop up. The only other time I have ever seen anything like this was on a older pc when trying to play a game, and the game was taken up to much ram to play But this can not be the problem... Because I have tried to make it crash by running a bunch of other programs at the same time and everything runs fine UNTIL I start the dialup modem then it crashes... If anyone might have anything I can try I will be glad to give almost anything a tryto fix this problem.

I have tried the one that came with card and this one other than that I dont know of any other driver. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE and Audigy Value Driver 01.04.0061 and Creative Basic Audio Suite

If you have tried all the drivers you can find, you might try each card in a different slot to see if it's an irq/dma issue. Move them one at a time and test.

I have switched around the cards in the pci slots. really the only thing I can try would be to put in one of the other modems and if it still does it take out the sound card and run the onboard sound and see it it does it then

IT does not show any problems with Irq they are not on the same one is on IRQ16 and the other is on IRQ 17.. I just got a feeling something is not set right in the bios all I know is that when the blue screen of death pops up, at the bottom it shows one of the files that has something to do with my modem driver.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`m sorry if this sounds a little simplistic, but try a different modem altogether(different brand). They don`t cost much and it would at least let you know if your problem is specific to your current modem/modem drivers. Personally, I think it is.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hello

If you've changed drivers and switched slots and checked IRQ's sounds to me like you've done everything you can. That's assuming that you have Plug n' play and they're aren't any switches on the modem card that need to be changed. As per another respondent modem cards are cheap. So you might try another modem card. Sometimes there are conflicts between software/hardware that cannot be resolved.

ESO...

I will try another modem I have a few laying around, I see where you mention Plug and play If you are talking about in my bios my plug and play o/s is disabled?

If you're intent on a modem, I would look for a USR external modem as these are hardware modems that offer better performance than the typical internal winmodem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back