problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

HI,

I have installed server 2003 on a small network and created a domain that is the same as the public domain name (ie the companies website).

This is now causing a problem because when i type in the public address (for example www.company.com) it is trying to resolve it locally - because the local domain name is also company.com.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get round this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

add 'local.' to the internal domain or change it altogether.

Your public domain should not have any connection into your private infrastructure,
but you may have references from private->public; not very common.

It's perfectly OK to have the same names for internal and external networks and you don't have to re-do anything here. Just create an entry for your webserver in the DNS on the Windows server.

I believe all DNS requests are going to the internal domain but are failing to make
a recursive exernal call.

Jobeard, I had come to the same conclusion, and I have spent most of today loading a test network environment and then trying to follow microsfts instructions for renaming the domain:) -hard work, but it seems to work ok.

nodsu
I did mess around with the DNS and tryed to add entries etc, but to no avail. Would you mind giving some detailed instructions on how to do it? and whether it will update on all machines immediatly etc??

Administrative Tools->DNS->Forward Lookup Zones
Right-click company.com, New Host (A)
Name->www
IP address - the IP of your web server
Click Add Host

To test whether the name resolves, open up the command prompt on a client.
Run "ping www.company.com". It should show the IP address when starting to ping.

To flush the DNS cache on a client to clear up any old entries, run "ipconfig /flushdns"

Nodsu

Thanks that worked a treat! I cant beleive it was that simple:)

Its just a shame I spent all day yesterday testing domain rename! But for anyones information that did work pretty well also:)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back