TechSpot

Problem with Windows sound samples.

By vale46
Sep 26, 2007
  1. Hi all, firstly hope this is the right forum ;)
    I have a real basic knowledge about pc's and want to learn more as i go with your help thanks.
    I recently (4 months ago ish) formatted and everything runs spot on except i have a slight problem with the windows sound samples !
    Example, when i click to empty the recycle bin the bin empties as i get a very short stutter of sound followed by the rest of the bin empty sound occuring after it has emptied !!! did that make sense ? :blush:
    What im failing to explain is the windows sound samples seem to come 2 seconds after the event like it needs to catch up.This stutter before full sample applies to any beep, ding, dong or dung :p
    Hope someone understands my babble.
    Thanks for any response.
    V

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,227   +232

Hello V,
    have you tried to reinstall your sound drivers?

3. vale46

vale46 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 160

HI Tmagic
    Thanks for input ;)
    There lies the first problem, how do i find out what sound card i'm using ?
    I looked in device manager but in the sound part there are about 4 different things showing.
    I really am a novice here so simplified terms would be most appreciated ;)
    Cheers
    V

4. vale46

vale46 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 160

Back again,
    I checked my device manager and in the sounds section there was 5 headings all but one of them didnt let me use ao dissable the device so i guess there not used ? but one called "VIA Audio Controller" did allow me to update its driver, so i did !!!!!!
    It seems to have sorted the problem i just hope i havent upset anything else.
    The driver is called SIGMATEL CODEC if that means anything to anyone
    Cheers
    V

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.