Problem with Windows sound samples.

By vale46
Sep 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all, firstly hope this is the right forum ;)
    I have a real basic knowledge about pc's and want to learn more as i go with your help thanks.
    I recently (4 months ago ish) formatted and everything runs spot on except i have a slight problem with the windows sound samples !
    Example, when i click to empty the recycle bin the bin empties as i get a very short stutter of sound followed by the rest of the bin empty sound occuring after it has emptied !!! did that make sense ? :blush:
    What im failing to explain is the windows sound samples seem to come 2 seconds after the event like it needs to catch up.This stutter before full sample applies to any beep, ding, dong or dung :p
    Hope someone understands my babble.
    Thanks for any response.
    V
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Hello V,
    have you tried to reinstall your sound drivers?
  3. vale46

vale46 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 206

HI Tmagic
    Thanks for input ;)
    There lies the first problem, how do i find out what sound card i'm using ?
    I looked in device manager but in the sound part there are about 4 different things showing.
    I really am a novice here so simplified terms would be most appreciated ;)
    Cheers
    V
  4. vale46

vale46 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 206

Back again,
    I checked my device manager and in the sounds section there was 5 headings all but one of them didnt let me use ao dissable the device so i guess there not used ? but one called "VIA Audio Controller" did allow me to update its driver, so i did !!!!!!
    It seems to have sorted the problem i just hope i havent upset anything else.
    The driver is called SIGMATEL CODEC if that means anything to anyone
    Cheers
    V
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.