TechSpot

Problem with XP, tried many ways

By aznevilflip
Aug 14, 2007
  1. I just recently purchased parts for my new pc. I have Windows XP Pro and I have updated completely. The only problem I have is that everytime I go to shut down my computer, it'll restart instead. I've tried doing the whole uncheck the automatic restart when there is a system failure. I have noticed that if I use my Asus AI remote and shut it down through the remote, it will shut down and turn off. This is really weird and any help is much appreciated. Thanks

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

3. aznevilflip

aznevilflip TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have checked that already, I don't have the programs that they describe. If it helps, do you guys want to know my system build? Or it doesn't matter? I may just completely wipe my system and re install XP

4. howard_hopkinso

Take a look at this thread HERE and see if it helps.

If it doesn`t, please post 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps, if you have any.

Regards Howard :)

5. aznevilflip

Thanks for the help, but one thing that I did realize that is odd, is that the plug where I connect my cat 5 cable, is still flashing even though the computer is turned off(I turn it off by shutting it down and when it actually is off, flip the power supply switch). Is that what may be causing my system to restart?(The network card being on even after the system is off)

6. howard_hopkinso

Take out the networking card and see if your computer becomes stable. If it does, you`ve found the culprit.

7. aznevilflip

Thanks man, but one problem I noticed hahaha, it's within my motherboard. :-(

8. howard_hopkinso

In that case, uninstall it from your device manager, then disable it in bios.

9. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

check your bios. I'm sure it will be the setting that says 'network boot' or something similar.
    I don't think there's a need to diasble the card, other than for elimination purposes.
    I bet if you take the cat5 cable out it will shutdown fine.

10. aznevilflip

Thanks guys, I'm gonna check all those out now

11. aznevilflip

Took out the cat 5 cable, checked the bios and it was already disabled. My last resort now is to reinstall XP

12. ckrieger

ckrieger TS Rookie Posts: 33

Wellllll maybe not. You might not have to reinstall XP. Check your BIOS again, there should some kind of setting for soft power-off or something to that effect. Whatever that's set to could be the culprit. If it's trying to do a soft-off when you click shutdown (which it should be doing, as opposed to a hard-off by just hitting the power button), it's probably being told to restart by your BIOS.

I could be wrong, but that's just my two cents.

13. aznevilflip

Thanks guys, but I'm really not the great at windows or computers in general. I know how to access my BIOS but I don't see anything that you are talking about ckrieger

14. howard_hopkinso

Post 5 or 6 minidumps if you have them.

Did you disable your nic in bios as I suggested? Obviously this would only be for testing purposes.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.