Problems downloading torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.

jools182

Well, I am not sure if I did the right thing as I am new to this.

I am trying to download a movie from demonoid.com.

I downloaded it using utorrent and then just tried to play the file on media player. It seemed to load the intro, but as the menu screen wasn't working (i.e. I couldn't click on it to choose chapters etc) I couldn't watch it
I just burnt the iso file to dvd to see if it worked on my dvd player but just got some weird menu screen

Yesterday when I wanted to try burning it again, the file was much smaller than when I originally downloaded it and when I tried to open it seemed to be just a small part of the film

So I deleted that and tried to copy what I had burned on dvd back to my PC, but that wouldn't work and it was coming up with a cyclic redundancy check error

So thats when I tried to download the torrent again, but it keeps sticking. I left it running last night and when I checked this morning my computer had rebooted. So started the torrent again and it keeps sticking at 8.7% and shows the 'eta' column as the infinity symbol

using any kind of P2P software like torrents, limewire, kazaa, etc... is highly risky and conduit to viri. While it can be used for legal transfer of files, 90% of the time it is used for piracy. Techspot neither condones piracy nor supports this type of behavior nor recommends the use of P2P software.

uTorrent is the name of the file I clicked on one fine day in July.
I didn't know where it came from, it was just in my New Downloads folder.

THAT file was a Trojan downloader that Webroot Spysweeper and Norton 360 both missed.

I miss that hard drive.

In short. P2P has it's own set of hidden disasters.

If you must use a P2P system, do your research first. Some are better then others, but none of them are worth the risk.

"Is Comcast your ISP?"
"No- I use seriously"

Well then, if you don't care to answer my question in a helpful way, I "seriously" won't attempt to answer yours.

Rudeness has no place here. There was a reason I asked that.

I presume ISP means my internet provider?

My internet provider is called 'Seriously Internet'

If ISP doesn't mean that then I apologize

Thank you. I was not familiar with this ISP. I had asked about Comcast because I had read they are restricting the broadband usage for the bit torrents. It seems that other internet providers are also having to do this.

It's possible that the movie you got did not download entirely. It is not one server you are connecting to, but many servers or people sharing the same file. So if you have 100 people sharing a file and each of them is allowing 10kbps upload speed in their torrent client that gives a total download speed of 1000kbps. Of course this has to shared between everyone who is downloading the file at a particular time. Here is a comment I found on the demonoid.com site:

"Just got back online-Please restart your bittorrent client!"
"Edit: We are getting thousands of new visitors which is causing the servers to overload. We are disabling a few of the site features to help the situation, but we'll probably need to order faster hardware, so it might be a few days until everything resolves."

"Edit: One of the tables crashed and we lost a bunch of torrents. If one of your torrents is missing, please resubmit it." http://www.demonoid.com/

So, the ISPs are beginning to restrict some of their services available for this file sharing. Is it possible that your did not get the entire movie from demonoid.com, since you did attempt to download again with the same result.

There are some not good reviews of Seriously Internet here. You may be dealing with a double problem:
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews86593.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back