Problems Installing G Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm

Hi there. Having major problems with my g-card. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and i have had it working once maybe twice. its a nvidia geforce fx 5200.When i first plug it into my first pci slot. and attach my monitor it gets to the windows xp loading bar and after that freezes. but i dont think it freezes . i hink it has something to do with the driver.But when i try to install the driver with out having the g-card in. It wont install =\. ill come back and see if any one has posted anything in reply. Thank you very much. Adam

I assume you mean AGP slot and not PCI? the 5200 is an old card and am pretty sure it was only AGP.

Anyway, do you not have on board graphics that you could test?
If not, it could easily be a faulty card, or even, as i've had it before, a faulty AGP slot.
You could try inserting the card and booting into the CMOS. Check that the AGP card is being used as the primary graphics device.
Boot into safe mode see what happens, if it works then yes its your drviers and you need to reinstall them, possibly from safe mode, or at least uninstall your bad ones first.

Hope it helps.

I am pretty sure it pci. Bought from ebuyer and it says pci on the card. im nub to all this so how the hell do i check its the primary one? Might not be able to reply till later on tonight due to work. Thanks

Ok, having checked, yes there is a pci version which you say you have.
So....did you remove an old AGP card first, or was your graphics onboad (ie. stuck to the mobo?)
Still sounds like you need to check the cmos first though.
Depending on what bios make you have, on boot, press DELETE (usually, but not always, it could be F1 or others)
Once you are in the cmos, you need to search through the tabbed columns to find info on your graphics adapter. It will say if it is on board, AGP or PCI, just make sure it says PCI.
Save and close, reboot.
Sorry, i'm a little vague but without knowing your bios make, i can't exactly guide you through in more detail, as they do vary.
If, however, you've had it boot up ok before, then it could still be a driver or faulty card issue. But check the cmos first imo.

Good luck! :)

ok , on the bios setup thing , i assume u mean the cmos? there is a tab called chipset . i enter that the north bridge. and theres a graphics adapter pci agp or onboard. i change it to pci and still im not getting past the windows loading bar.

Ok Few days have passed now and im still not getting passed the windows loading bar. on bios ive set primary graphics adapter to pci. disabled the onboard one in device manager. i use driver cleaner to remove all nvidia drivers. then i turn off my pc , and it still wont get passed the windows xp loading bar. Tbh i think it is the driver. how am i supposed to instal a driver when 1. To install the driver you need the GPU inserted. 2.When i insert the graphics card it wont get passed the windows loading bar. so there for i can not install the driver :$ . Its getting realy anoying . just wonderd if some one who knows to try n help me =\.Also to update my bios do i need a floppy drive :$ thanks :suspiciou

Adamm.... sounds like the same problem i've had twice before. Sadly the only fix i could find was to reinstall windows. Cos for some reason the basic graphics driver seemed to be so embedded that it wouldn't even boot into safe mode. It seemed to damage a system file. So, my only recourse was to reinstall windows. :(

Adamm, that may be the exact problem. most video drivers will not install without the card in and the card should run without the driver. Have you tried to run the onboard video without the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back