Problems running Warcraft III - locking-up and restarting issues -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saru

Blizzard would have me believe that the video card is not working properly, or so the game manual says. Actually, I tend to agree since the PC has the same issues while playing Call of Duty 2 (sometimes) and World of Warcraft (again occasionally). Truthfully, I would put up with it -and have been- if it was occasional. But, for the game -which I have just purchased- I cannot get through an entire level or multiplayer without it happening, that is if I can get into a game at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01 GHz with 512 MB of RAM) with an ATI Radeon 9550 card and have just installed (several times) new drivers (version: 8.273.0.0).

Much thanks, Saru

Great game, Warcraft 3... you will love it once it starts working. Well I have had porblems of a different sort with the same games with my old 9800PRO. I had artefacts everywhere on an unoverclocked and unoverheated card. I have come to believe that some ATI cards develop a problem as they get older. Sometimes the ATI and Omega Drivers just won't run the card properly. I fixed the problem by letting Windows XP use it's own drivers for the card. You might think that this would have a huge impact on performance but in fact it didn't.

Try uninstalling all drivers for the card and rebooting the computer. When the "Found new hardware" box comes up, let it install everything then fire up a game and see what happens.

MetalX, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I have already tried to use the Win XP drivers and that didn't fix it. Also, the card is fairly new (less than a year) but seems to have been problematic since day 1.

The other thing is I am trying to do right now is rid myself of a Trojan. I read something about those causing the same types of issues at times as well. I imagine that the two things are unrelated though but then again I am pretty useless in this department.

Have you anything else to suggest?

Cheers! Saru

Saru said:
MetalX, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I have already tried to use the Win XP drivers and that didn't fix it. Also, the card is fairly new (less than a year) but seems to have been problematic since day 1.

The other thing is I am trying to do right now is rid myself of a Trojan. I read something about those causing the same types of issues at times as well. I imagine that the two things are unrelated though but then again I am pretty useless in this department.

Have you anything else to suggest?

Cheers! Saru
Hmm... that seems to suggest that you need a new video card. And for the record, my 9800PRO was only 6 months old when problems started to occur. I suggest getting a new video card (I assume you are using AGP) like one of these:

ATI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102002

Nvidia - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150157

If you don't want to get a new card... then I don't think theres much you can do other that put up with your current one.

I run with a NVidia 6800 factory overclocked myself. Never had any problems with WoW, WarIII, CS. But GRAW is posing interesting problems. Framrate is rather low. But at the same time, all the other games run fine. anyone with this problem?

Sorry, but what is GRAW? I might be able to help if I knew what it was... sorry for being a noob.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.

lol, dont feel bad. I didnt even figure out the acronym until a couple weeks after I started playing it.
And for no reason the framerate skips a bunch.
AMD Athalon FX-53, 2048mb DDR2, 2x 400GB drives, NVidia 6800
It shouldn't be doing this.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back