TechSpot

problems unmapping a network drive that no longer exists

By Spike
Feb 26, 2005
  1. I've just re-installed my machine(XPpro1), and set up the network again directly with my second machine (xppro2) via a crossover cable.

on the previous network, I had mapped network drives. XPpro2, having not been neinstalled still shows those drives. I would like to get rid of them, but because there is no such network place as there was previously when I try to discaonnect them, I simply can't seem to get rid of them

Does anybody know how to unmap/delete these redundant drives?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Right click on the drive and select "Disconnect"?

3. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 2,168

Thanks for the reply, nodsu.

The problem I'm having, hopefully explained a little better, is that...

...On the new network (with a drive I mapped on the current and new installation to test the disconnect option) I clicked disconnect, and it disconnected and dissapeared.

on the network drives that don't acctually have anywhere to point to anymore, I get the error message "The network connection could not be found", and they remain.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Ah.

How about "net use /delete x:" from the command line?

5. Spike

Thanks again Nodsu. That seemed promising, but here's the cmd window readout....

net use -

and uploaded jpeg of 'my comp'...

any other ideas?

6. 4n75

4n75 TS Rookie

Try this ....

Hi

Check if you have a logon script running somewhere on your pc or on the remote pc, check your registry "local machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run & runonce" you might see a logon script there or in your startup directrory.Also if there is a logon script on the remote pc and you are using the same pc name and user name on the new installation try to rename the pc and use a different username, so if the logon script is on the remote pc it wount find that one anymore.

Ants

7. Spike

1, no logon script
    2, no registr entries
    3, no startup entry
    4, different pc name - It's entirely possible that could have worked, but would have required me to set up the network again. :)
    5, no remote logon script

Thankyou very much for your help though. All valid possibilities if I'd done anything like that and forgotten about it.

The problem has been resolved now. I don't know how, but it was after a re-boot. The drives weren't dissapearing on re-boot originally, so I can only guess it must have been one of the 'net use' commmands I tried, including 'net use /persistent:no', not that I have much idea of what that did!

Many thanks both! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.