TechSpot

Problems upgrading to Windows 7

By beerabuser30
Jun 14, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I have 4 computers with Vista 64. I upgraded 3 to Windows 7. The fourth will not do it. I get The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

"You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc. "

I know this OS is 64 bit for the heck of it I tried to do it 32 bit as well and I get the same answer. Any ideas?
  2. tuant

tuant TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 256

I don't think you can upgrade a Windows 32-bit to Windows 64-bit or vice versa. You'll need to perform a clean install which requires reformatting the drive...Good luck
  3. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 294

It is 64 bit and I tried upgrading straight to 64 bit. It says it cant though. If I have to do a clean install how can I keep my music tags for itunes? I have 30k songs and several drives from all sorts of sources. Redoing all my stuff would be a pain. That is why I just want to upgrade but it just wont let me.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.