Problems with a wireless G connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problems with a Linksys wireless G connection

Have a Linksys Wireless G WRT54G router connected to a mac, and a USB network adapter connected to a laptop.

Everything appears to be ok on the laptop i.e strong signal, but it wont allow it to connect to the internet. Yet access to the internet through the mac is fine. It shows in the laptops linksys connection manager 'you are connected to the access point, but the internet can't be found'.

Also when the connection is refreshed the message 'can not associate with the access point is shown?.

Nothing has been added or removed from the mac or laptop, and the network was working fine until 2 days ago when this problem started, any idea's on this one guy's as my head hurts :blackeye:

Not sure about Macs, but my IP changes every now and then, so I have to reset my router IP address or it won't allow access.
In windows you can run a command prompt to see what your IP is, can you do that in a mac?
Can you have someone else ping you?
Did you check the obvious- Firewalls or anti-Virus blocking you?
Can you access the router from your browser and check the settings?
I'm just a new guy, but maybe the smart guys will join in soon...

Nice one swimsalot all advice greatly recived on this one :approve: . Have checked the firewall and antivirus settings and all apears to be a ok. Have also managed to check ip settings and these don't appear to have changed. Could you explain more about 'someone else ping me'?

Again, not sure about Macs, but in Windows you can go to the Command screen and type "ping xxx.xxx.xx" where "x": is the IP address of someone else.
Your system will sound out a packet and time how long it takes to receive a reply, also how much data is lost, if any.
It's an easy way to find out if your router is allowing incoming traffic.
Hope that helps, I have limited knowledge here :slurp:

Check Firewall

Check your firewall settings on the broke machine. Some firewalls by default dont allow connections through private ip's, which you are probably running on, ie.. 192.168.x.x.

Jizzard said:
Have a Linksys Wireless G WRT54G router connected to a mac, and a USB network adapter connected to a laptop.

Everything appears to be ok on the laptop i.e strong signal, but it wont allow it to connect to the internet. Yet access to the internet through the mac is fine. It shows in the laptops linksys connection manager 'you are connected to the access point, but the internet can't be found'.

open system preferences
click Sharing, then Internet
choose a port from the popup 'share your connection'
select the builtin nic or the Airport

If the router is wired to the router, then click the Airport device

Thanks bvigil72 and jobeard, will give what you have suggested a try. Hopefully this should fix the gremlins in the works, and allow me sleep at night. Computers are great when they work eh?. :)

router

I called tech support when I had trouble with a wired linksys router. They will stay on phone with you till they can solve problem. The time difference there is about 12 hours calling around midafternoon is early morning there seems like best time to call you will need to tell them model# and some info on bottom of router. Free tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back