problems with direct 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordi05

I´ve recently developed a problem with my direct 3D, and hope someone can offer some advice.

The problem started suddenly when I was playing a game on my laptop.
Whenever 3D graphics are supposed to be displayed, all I get is a lot of flickering, broken polygons. This applies to games, and even my "rotating text" screensaver in windows.

I did the "accelerated direct 3D" test using the "dxdiag" application in windows.
When I test with 7 interfaces, it looks nice. But when I test with 8 or 9 interfaces I get the same broken 3D graphics.

I tried downloading and installing a new set of drivers, as well as installing directx 9.0c all over again. Did not help at all.

Could it be a hardware problem? Does anyone know what might help?

PS: my video card is the ATI mobility raedon 9700, 128 mB.

Thanks in advance for any help.

No, nothing.
I was merely playing a game. It started as some lesser flickering. And then became worse to the point that the game was unplayable.

Could be symptomatic of a flacky video card. Best to go to the store where you bought it and have them swap in a new video card and see if the problem continues.

I find it strange that the problem suddenly appeared without you changing anything. The only other issue I can think of is spyware.

BTW, I presume you're using WinVista?

No, I´m on win XP Pro.
Can´t find any spyware either. Are there any diagnostics tools for video cards that I could apply?

First, did it happen the first time you played this video game?

WinXP Pro eh? That's a bit surprising as I thought WinVista would be having the graphics problems you describe! Oh well.

I recommend using 3 anti-spy utils. The ones I recommend are:

o Ad-Aware 2007 Free
o Spybot Search & Destroy
o AVG Anti-Spyware

As for diagnostic tools for video cards, those would be vendor specific. Check with ATI. For now, check Device Manager and see if it reports anything. Also you can load Lavalys EVEREST Home Edition and get detailed diagnostic reports, for what it's worth.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...s_Utilities/Lavalys_EVEREST_Home_Edition.html

It was not the first time with this video game. It has served me well for 30+ hours before this happend. Also I am regularly running all 3 of your suggested anti spy-ware software :)

I will look into the diagnostic software.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

You're most welcome! I actually quite enjoy this!

I used to be a high tech engineer, 15 years! Yet, strangely, that's not the first reason I know all this! I designed "embedded systems" which are not the same as a PC exactly but do have a lot in common. High tech collapsed in 2001 and by mid-2003, I got laid off. I kicked around and then in early 2005, I got a job at a Dell call centre as a tech agent supporting their PCs. THAT'S where I learned all this!! Even stranger, I actually ENJOYED that job!! You would think a 39 year old high tech engineer wouldn't lower himself to do that but I actually did enjoy it and did very at the job!! There's a big difference between designing embedded systems and troubleshooting PCs!! Very different set of skills. I finally gave up trying to get re-employed in high tech engineering so I started my own in-home PC servicing business.

I recently joined this forum because it's a great resource! I quite enjoy helping people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back