Problems with installing a second HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordScythe

After I ran out of room on my older 40GB IDE hard drive, I got a new 320GB SATA HD just to add on to that setup... but when I inserted the SATA drive into the computer, the BIOS stopped recognizing that the older drive was there... so I can't boot Windows, 'cause it's on my older one. I've tried every possible combination of plugging in different hard drives (i.e. just the older one, just the new one, both), but it still doesn't recognize that the old drive is plugged in. How do I fix this?

Have you checked out the Jumper settings?

Also, try looking at the settings in the BIOS. Somthing like boot device priority, then check the harddrive priority also.

Well, the BIOS doesn't recognize it in order for me to set the boot order, and the older drive is jumpered but doesn't have a jumper map. So I don't know what to do with the jumper...

ah ok. Do you know the manufacturer? If so, they might just use the same jumper settings still. (I think you'd be looking for Master)

Ok, I got the jumper set to dual disk IDE master, and I booted the computer. It STILL doesn't see that a drive is there.

Into the bowels of the BIOS with you.....

You will need to go into the system BIOS (usually F2) and determine what the boot order has become. Please read the stickies at the beginning of this thread category before you rush into anything. It's not all that likely there'll be any jumpers on your new SATA drive to move, since there is no slave/master relationship with the SATA interface. At the moment your OS is on the older drive, if it's no longer in the boot order correctly, you have no operating system. Please read the stickies. Also, the best place you can learn more about adding new drives is the manufacturers' web sites, BOARD & DRIVE!

if the older drive was a ide
and the newer sata
xp will default to the ide in almost all cases
set the older drive back to master
go to bios and reset to optimum defaults
reboot go back to bios
check boot order then look in bios for boot priority
you can have 2 separate configs for boot up the devices
optical hdd floppy scsi ls120 stuff like that and then
you will have another for the hdd's they will be in list if bios recognizes

you may want to get the latest bios upgrade

hard drive install

your sys is trying to read the dom hard drive ie larger you will need to install win on the larger drive and use the smaller as secondary

That is absolutely incorrect richard forsey. There is no reason you can't add an sata drive to a system with an OS on IDE.

There are no master slave issues with sata. Keep the IDE drive the same as you always had it. ALL of your problems with booting into Windows are because you do not have your BIOS set up correctly. Read your motherboard manual, or download a copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back