Problems with monitor or graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought the components to put together a new PC, I managed to assemble everything ok and install windows no problem.

It all seemed to be working fine but after a few hours of running the monitor goes black. The monitor power light is still on (not in standby) but the screen is off. This will happen normally after an hour or so. If I switch the monitor off then on again it will return to normal but after a few minutes it will again switch off. Nothing else is affected when it turns back on, the screen is exactly as normal. It will happen when in BIOS or in Windows XP so I'm guessing its not a windows problem or drivers issue. I flashed the MOBO BIOS but this had no effect.

So I'm guessing the problem is either with my monitor or graphics card.

The systems details are:

Graphics Card - XFX GeForce 7800GT
Monitor - Acer AL2032WA

Any help would be much appreciated.

It could be as simple as the power saving option causing it.

Right click on your background and select properties, then screensaver, then power, and set turn off monitor to never.

That would be slightly embarrasing if it were the case. But unfortunately its not the problem. I'm thinking that because all I have to do to get a picture back is turn off the monitor then turn it back on, it must be a problem with the monitor.

Has anyone ever heard of a monitor overheating? Could this be an explanation? Or is it maybe a compatability issue?

Might give Acer a call...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back