Problems with Sony CRX320A

Status
Not open for further replies.

herr5407

Hello everyone,

Recently on my parents computer I've ran into a problem with a combo drive they are using. It fails every time they try to burn a CD-R.

The drive is a CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM drive. I've downloaded the Sony drive check utility and it fails to check the blank media I insert into the drive.

It seems to fail detecting blank media but will read CD/DVD-ROM discs.

I have upgraded the firmware and drivers seem to be non-existant other than the standard drivers that are installed with windows.

I've uninstalled the device and let windows detect it again yet it still fails to burn because it can't detect the blank media.
Any suggestions?

Those Sony drives have a short life, seldom lasting longer than a year... they wear out or burn out... there are three lasers in there, and none of them seem to be much good.. You can buy a new drive from Pioneer, LG, Samsung, and others for under %50.

Yeah I ended up buying a $5 CND used burner (Manu. date Oct 2000, that’s why it was so cheap), installed it and it works like a charm.

The computer is about 7 years old so I didn't want to invest in any new hardware. You should hear the HD whine in this computer. I can literally hear it halfway across the house and it's been like that for 2 years and hasn't failed surprisingly.

Thanks for the information. I've been looking around this forum and have a feeling I'll be sticking around for awhile.

Some brands of hard drives are designed to whine... Western Digital, Quantum, and Maxtor...

This whine didn't start when they first purchased the computer years ago. It began later through the computers life.

I didn't know that drives were made to whine though. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back