Problems with wireless assistant and dialup on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently brought a compaq presario f500 with an amd turion64 processor and a broadcom modem. The wireless assistant light stays red no matter if it is turned on or off. the computer shows no wireless networks and upon trying to use dial up internet that won't work either. I went to device manager saw an exclimation mark by the modem and tried trouble shooting the problem from there. Upon downloading the latest drivers and updating wireless assistant still no internet service is working and the light is still red and I still have an exclimation mark on the modemin device mgr. I am beginning to lean toward a system bios or motherboard problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated ib fixing this problem.

Did it ever work on wireless or with a modem? Is it still under warranty?
The errors in the device manager could mean you have the incorrect driver, the driver is installed incorrectly, or the device is defective. Any of those could be causing the problem

Yes, the wireless worked until. recently. I have already installed the new drivers and updated the wireless assistant. No it is not under warrenty any longer. I was recently reading several posts about a recall on several compaq and hp pavilions for problems of the same nature and it having to do with the system bios. Because it is out of warranty if that is the problem they will charge an arm and a leg to fix it.

If you give enough detail, including brand, model, and configuration, it is very likely that you can get to a fix right here at TechSpot. Think it through and give a long and clear description.

We assume you have looked for a fix at the HP/Compaq website. They usually post the fix, and are not trying to make money on the failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back