Problems with XP no icons loads once booted up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer seems to start up resonably quick it only takes 2-3 scrolls of the blue bar on the xp screen

However once windows has loaded the desktop icons is now takes a good 30-45 seconds before my icons next to the clock will load and the computer will not respond

Also windows live messenger always takes ages to sign into on this pc but it's quicker on my laptop which is 4 years old?

I've follwed all the removal steps and this is what i'm left with the attached logs

Please Help,

Thanks

First, you've opened the thread in the wrong section. Guys down in the windows OS bit don't look at HJT files much, but the guys down at security and web however.......

But, i'll get the ball rolling for you:
Open HJT, fix these:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Sky - {08E730A4-FB02-45BD-A900-01E4AD8016F6} - http://www.skybroadband.com (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Now, do you use/know what is VideoEgg program? if you don't then go to control panel and uninstall it.

Not sure about these ones, although if you recognise the ip addresses...
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0729EDC2-FB6A-4852-A87B-BF3B128F74E7}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{0729EDC2-FB6A-4852-A87B-BF3B128F74E7}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220

Upload a new HJT file afterwards. I'll see if i can get someone from there to doublecheck the hjt for you, but otherwise i have some light reading material in the meantime..

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53669.html
https://www.techspot.com/news/24328-Introducing-TechSpots-Windows-Startup-List.html

thanks very much for you help i'll see if i can copy this thread into the security and web section

and i think the ccs and cs1 are to do with my networked printer

here is my latest hijack this

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is clean.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Please visit this link http://virusscan.jotti.org/
* Click the Browse... button
* Navigate to the following file C:\WINDOWS\system32\14081880CC.sys
* Click Open
* Please let me know the results.

Then do the same for these files too.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\98BCC60F6F.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Mediav_6_4.dll

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of sworks16 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

i don't have an xp cd as my dell computer hasn't got any software installation discs i think there is a dell recovery system not sure if you know anything at all it's a dell 5150c

Thanks for your help so far

I don`t know anything about the Dell recovery system, I suggest you read the instructions that came with your system.

The bottom line is, I don`t think your problem is malware related.

Regards Howard :)

the dell system recovery (like any other preinstalled OEM recovery things) will wipe your OS and replace it with a ready made image. Don't do this if you don't want to start over. Although that said, you can monitor what program is causing your lag by installing it one by one oand then observing it when you restart your pc....

you can use any windows xp cd that is the exact same version as the one you have installed (home sp1/sp2, pro sp1/sp2 etc) to do the above mentioned recovery..

i believe its one of your startup programs that is causing this lag, so try a few things:
- Create a login password (even if its a one letter password). This will cause windows to stop loading when its finish booting, and then when you log in, it will load the rest of the startup items.
- Read the linked thread i've posted before on how to speed up your pc
- disable all uneccessary programs from automaticaly starting up - msn, itunes, picasa, adobe etc. Then open them manualy. If one of the ones you've disabled here is causing the lag, then you've found your problem.
- Certain programs like zonealarm (firewall) and ATI catalyst manager sometimes makes a "pause" on yaour system (happens to me), i believe this is normal..?
- use msconfig, with the addition of the startup database linked in my post before to further reduce the amount of things automaticaly starting up with your system. Don't forget to leave those essential services/programs checked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back