Problems with XP Professional taskbar and system tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear with my details, as I fear this is not a common problem- I can't find it on Google. I have been recently (not sure what caused it) having troubles with the taskbar and system tray in windows XP Pro. Some time after a fresh reboot (seems not to occur directly after a reboot), my windows on the taskbar don't respond correctly to my mouse clicks. That is to say that for instance right now, if I click on a different internet explorer window (on the taskbar), that window doesn't come up in front of this window as in normally would. Instead the taskbar section of that window changes from its regular blue colour to the dark orange colour as it would if something in that window had changed in the background (for example when you get a message on a MSN messenger window that is running in the background).
Alt-tabbing brings up the window no problems and if I click the desired 'task' 3 times it comes up -(once to turn colour, twice to minimize it, and the third time it pops up in the foreground). This is quite ANNOYING.

The second issue is with the system tray. Often times, (with any application it seeems) when I right-click the sys. tray icon the resulting menu stays there even after I click off of it- in the background or in other applications. The only way to get rid of it is to select one of the menu options. This is also very annoying.

I doubt it is any virus or spyware, as I stay updated with those software.
My windows updates are complete. I did need to get a fix for service pack 2 as it crashed my system (but its ok now). I just updated my video driver from the windows site and thought it resolved the issue but it hasn't. I can give details on programs running in background if needed but I try to minimize these. If anyone has any idea what is going on I'd be willing to try.
Seves

I have found the problem. It was my D-Link wireless card configuration utility. The other programs worked fine until my mouse hit the D-Link one. I have solved the problem by removing the program from the startup and am now using the Windows wireless network configuration. I tried to update the drivers from the D-Link website but I think the problem is with the utility program. All is good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back